73 dart, where to start

-

Futzy1

Reaction score
Hey guys, FNG here. So I just bought a 73 4 door slant six dart, and the plan is for it to be the new family daily. There's just one problem. I live in the southern California desert, and next summer I'll be looking at more days above 100 than below. I know it's an undertaking, but I need to add a/c to my non factory air dart, and I have no idea where to start. I know some companies offer full kits, but neither vintage or classic have them for my year.

So pretend like I don't know a thing about auto a/c and let me have it.

Thanks

Futzy, I'm not sure what it would take to piecemeal a full blown aftermarket system together since apparently there are no bolt-in kits for your application. I do know that there are self-contained AC systems that are mounted under the dash. Granted, I'm not sure if it will work for your needs. One thing you may want to consider is finding a similar A-body to yours where someone is removing the entire system (for whatever their reason is) and grab every bit of it - refurbishing those pieces that may need attention. Best case scenario is to find someone local and actually help them remove it so you can see how it goes back together and again, to make sure you get every part you need. Who knows, they may just give it to you for the labor. GL.

Underdash unit for the win...... Avoid the headache and time spent making the transformation and go the easy peazy route on this one.....

Good luck,
JW

Underdash unit for the win...... Avoid the headache and time spent making the transformation and go the easy peazy route on this one.....

Good luck,
JW
X2.... Best,of luck...You picked the least mimimal maintenance vehicle,on the planet .. long term.. Best of luck,man....
Edit.... Brackets are a bi&ch,hoses can be made,at qny good Carquest ,or Napa.....

Ok, so now I'll prove that I have no idea what I'm talking about, but even if I go under dash don't I still need to do all the under hood work? I guess what I'm asking is what makes under dash easier? I know that the factory air was basically mounted under dash anyway, so I'm not totally opposed.

Like GTXperience said if you want to go factory find a doner car to get everything even the firewall because it is different from the Nona/c car it can be done but very involved. I would call the companies and find out why their kits won't fit and modify them.

Like GTXperience said if you want to go factory find a doner car to get everything even the firewall because it is different from the Nona/c car it can be done but very involved. I would call the companies and find out why their kits won't fit and modify them.

Have a P/S system (Federal Pump) with the brackets and hardware, and add on pulley, from a 74 Dart slant six that had factory air and power steering. Believe some of the brackets are specific for an air car. Let me know if these parts would be of any help.

100_0489.JPG

Oh wow. so after a butt load of googling, here's where I'm at. I've seen that a lot of people that add to the 225 are using a sanden 508, or r134 equivalent. do you know if that bracket is from a 189 or a 225? it looks like the bracket is going to be the odd piece. I found this:

Under Dash AC Unit Kit | Under Dash Air Conditioning Kits - Old Air Products - Underdash System

Which actually almost looks like the factory vent (well close enough) but it's not available with a bracket for my engine.

Yeah I need to call classic. I've seen that system, but it covers to 1972 A body. I'm just not sure what mods I need to make to make it fit a 73. also they have a testimonial from someone on their site that talks about installing on a 73 dart 4 door.

-
Back