73 Dodge Dart Steering Box, Idler and Pitman Arm

-

wwwfora

Reaction score
Hi All,

Went in for an alignment and they say I need an Idler/Pitman Arm and Steering Box. I'm sick of people just telling me to get new parts, this lazy today attitude is killing me. Is it really necessary to get new parts if they aren't worn? I assume you could replace the bushing on both parts. Of course the steering box, if the screw is already turned in all the way, is shot, and a rebuild is too difficult. So that would have to be bought.

And how difficult would it be for me to replace/repair these parts myself? Then get an alignment.

Thank you

Hi All,

Went in for an alignment and they say I need an Idler/Pitman Arm and Steering Box. I'm sick of people just telling me to get new parts, this lazy today attitude is killing me. Is it really necessary to get new parts if they aren't worn? I assume you could replace the bushing on both parts. Of course the steering box, if the screw is already turned in all the way, is shot, and a rebuild is too difficult. So that would have to be bought.

And how difficult would it be for me to replace/repair these parts myself? Then get an alignment.

Thank you

The idler and pitman arm are different animals. The idler is on the pax side and is a straight bolt in. The pitman arm attaches to a shaft in the steering box. I picked up a FirmFeel out of a Diplomat cop car for the Demon from a local salvage yard. That took care of both the pitman arm and steering box issues.

There are three important qualities in driving; go, whoa, and turn. I can live with a little less the optimum on the go because if it ain't going, I can safely walk away from it. I take a zero tolerance policy towards deficiencies in whoa and turn qualities. I have only one neck and am determined not to break it because I was too cheap to properly fix brake or steering deficiencies. Not really wild about throwing money at problems, but it seems like cheap insurance, all things considered.

-
Back