73 dodge dart wont stay running for longer then 10 mintues.

-

Smokedya

Reaction score
This problem has me at my witts end. I replaced the whole distributor, distributor cap, rotor, plugs, wires, ignition coil, ballast resistor, and ignition control module. Before hand the car run alright just had a little miss here and there. What happens is it will drive fantastic for about 10 mintues. Then it seems like it is running on four out of the six cylinders and when I take my foot of the pedal it just dies. It has fuel in the filter right before the carb. Has anyone had this happen before? It is a 225 slant six. If you need more info I can provide anything I would know. Please help my registration ends at the end of this month and I'm going crazy with this car.

sounds like its flooding, how is the restart after it dies? quick or long crank?

where in AZ are you? i'll help you if your close!

Something is wrong with your carburator. It probably runs as long as the choke is engaged an then dies. By your description I would say it runs way to lean, that is why it will run as long as the choke is engaged.

Something is wrong with your carburator. It probably runs as long as the choke is engaged an then dies. By your description I would say it runs way to lean, that is why it will run as long as the choke is engaged.

hmm good thinking! when my float was a little high it was fine driving but you let off and it would start coming out the booster and die. if it would start it was terrible idle and smoke lol.

Thanks for the reply guys. I live in Mesa 805moparkid. The start is long crank with me having to pump the pedal to get it to want to start. I will check the float and tinker with it a little bit.

I tore the carb apart and the float was stuck and I also noticed there was some stainage from the gas over flowing out of my carb and on to the intake. I can't believe I didn't notice that. Thank you guys again!

I tore the carb apart and the float was stuck and I also noticed there was some stainage from the gas over flowing out of my carb and on to the intake. I can't believe I didn't notice that. Thank you guys again!

cool! always nice to fix it! so where you at?

I'm on ellsworth and university. And I finally got the new float and the car now stays running! Thank you guys so much!

I'm on ellsworth and university. And I finally got the new float and the car now stays running! Thank you guys so much!

oh ok so off the 10 a bit. im way up here in county phx, just south of New river. if your ever heading this way let me know!

-
Back