73 Duster Build

-

gunters96lt1

Reaction score
Thought id start a new thread about the build up of my 1973 Duster. I just recently swapped in a 440/727/8 3/4 replacing the original 318/904.

Heres my original thread - http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=324171

Here's how it sits as of now.

Car is solid, except the roof. It originally had a vinyl top. Someone tried repairing at one time with fiberglass, and its a mess. So I decided to replace the skin.

So a little background. We drove the car for a year or two and then it got stuck in storage. I was watching the show Roadkill, and came across the Crop-duster episode. They took a 70 (i think) duster and stuck a 440/727 out of a motor home in it. looked like a lot of fun so I thought why not, Ill give it a shot.

Here it is the day i got it out of storage. Little gas in the carb and it fired right up!

We have a 72 duster also, which is the car i planned on using first. I like the 70-72's better. But after getting it home i realized it was too far gone.

Moving on. Got the 318/904 pulled.

De-greased and power washed the bay.

So I am fortunate enough to have some parts around. Which makes things a lot easier. Grabbed a running 440, mildly built 727, and aluminum radiator.

We went with the schumacher motor mount swap kit. Very nice kit.

Notched the k-member and set the motor in. Its tight but it fit just fine.

After some research i found that certain manifolds will work with a big block in an a-body. Dug around and actually found a set of HP manifolds. Everything was a little tight, so we splurged and bought a set of Schumacher Tri-y headers.

Decided to spray can paint the motor while i had it out. Just to look at little better. We decided to wait until we do the body to paint the engine bay.

Motor in and leveled with the headers on.

Finally starting to look like something.

A shot with my Dads 70 Hemi Challenger his been working on

So, a little update. After finishing up the 440/727 swap and getting it running/driving, I decided it was time to tackle the roof skin.

After a few nights in the shop, and a lot of spot weld drilling it came off.

Got our 72 duster parts car out of storage and started with the 70-72 front end conversion on my 73. Looks so much better already.

Got the front bumper mounted but didn't get a pic.

Currently bidding on a grill on eBay but if anyone has a nice 70-72 grill let me know.

-
Back