73 Duster choke help

-

Mopar92

Reaction score
Trying to get my 73 Duster 198ci to be a little more user friendly for cold starts. I just picked up this 78k mile car. I am not sure how the choke system works on the car. I do know it's missing the pre heater hose from the exhaust manifold to the air cleaner. I'll take are of that. My biggest question is the vacuum deal on the exhaust is missing the hose. It doesn't feel like it moves by hand. It's held onto the manifold by 2 bolts. What is this and what does it do? Thanks.

It sounds like your describing the EGR valve. A vacuum line would come from the carb to operate it. Find out what carb. you have and get a diagram to tell you which vac. port to use. As for what it does it allows a small amount of exhaust gas back into the intake to reduce combustion chamber temp. (thanks google)

I just confirmed its a Holley 1920. Is it worth getting this part of it working? I just picked up some preheat hose for the manifold to air cleaner. That should help some too. Thanks

Because you have a 73 if you don't have all the parts for the EGR system it will not work right. It really doesn't aid in warming up the engine. The /6 is a cold blooded engine and runs better with a good warm up. Your best bet is make sure the choke works one step on gas pedal and high idle when started. Getting the preheat hose is good but only if the air control valve in the air cleaner is working. My suggestion is pick up a good factory service manual for your car they give you all info needed. The only other way for a quick warm up would be get a electric fan for the radiator and take off the stock one for winter time and keep it I would suggest putting it back on in the summer. I hope this info helps.

-
Back