73 Duster - I didn't take it apart....body assembly questions

-
Any of the Duster/Demon/Dart Sport doors from '70-'76 will "work", meaning they'll all bolt into place, open, close, seal at the window etc. Having a '74 door with your '73 is nice because it will use the same interior panels as a '73, so they'll at least match each other when fully assembled. Internally though they're totally different- different glass, different regulators, different window hardware. Not a big deal if both doors are complete, but if they're not it means sourcing two different sets of glass and hardware. Most stuff is sold in pairs so it may be a bit of a headache.

So what I wanna know is why you didn't provide any useful information? Clearly you know everything there is to know, so the nice thing to do here would have been to answer one of the OP's questions. Or post something useful.
Not even close looks like you missed my post saying if he can do a body off GM this should be easy after doing a few mopars I did a GM and pulled my hair out tweaking this tweaking that taking apart time and time again because this had to be done before that compared to GM anyway mopars are a lot easier to do also some are to quick to ask how to do something rather than thinking it out or trying since this person has a couple GM's under his belt I'm sure he has a pretty good clue

Just like I just changed the cam cover gaskets on my daughters GM 3.0 V6 was I intimated - yes have I ever done this on a modern motor - no did I let it stop me or have to ask how to it - no just dug in and thought it through pretty easy when done

All I'm saying is to look it over and think it through these things aren't that complicated just do it

OK, I'm dredging up this old thread...more questions.

I got the Duster pretty much mocked up. All the wiring harness is back in place & everything works, so that's good. Figured out the window regulators & thank God not missing any parts there. Door latch mechanisms installed as well, doors open & close nicely - hinges are tight & even the door gaps aren't too bad for a 45 year old Chrysler...onto the questions.
  1. The drivers side door is missing the detent spring from the hinge. Is it possible to wiggle a fresh spring in there without having to remove the hinge? As noted, the gaps are nice & I'd prefer not to have to remove the door or fender. But that looks unlikely.
  2. The owner gave me the go ahead to paint the car. As part of that he wants to do a color change on the interior from beige to black. I understand the metal dash frame bolts in but it would appear that in order to get it out the windshield has to come out. Which I'd prefer not to do, because it's perfect. I read a few thins on the web about guys who used a cut off wheel to cut the j-nut clips in order to remove the dash frame but this seems sketchy to me. Curious to know if anyone has done it & has any advice...
Thanks!

OK, I'm dredging up this old thread...more questions.

I got the Duster pretty much mocked up. All the wiring harness is back in place & everything works, so that's good. Figured out the window regulators & thank God not missing any parts there. Door latch mechanisms installed as well, doors open & close nicely - hinges are tight & even the door gaps aren't too bad for a 45 year old Chrysler...onto the questions.
  1. The drivers side door is missing the detent spring from the hinge. Is it possible to wiggle a fresh spring in there without having to remove the hinge? As noted, the gaps are nice & I'd prefer not to have to remove the door or fender. But that looks unlikely.
  2. The owner gave me the go ahead to paint the car. As part of that he wants to do a color change on the interior from beige to black. I understand the metal dash frame bolts in but it would appear that in order to get it out the windshield has to come out. Which I'd prefer not to do, because it's perfect. I read a few thins on the web about guys who used a cut off wheel to cut the j-nut clips in order to remove the dash frame but this seems sketchy to me. Curious to know if anyone has done it & has any advice...
Thanks!
Best to remove wind shield had some one try that trick .. because if you cant get them out how will u get the new ones in

Best to remove wind shield had some one try that trick .. because if you cant get them out how will u get the new ones in
Most that do it that way flip the nut clips, put them on the dash frame and re-install the screws from the bottom. Frankly I don't see how they do it without major lacerations. Lol

The problem is the threads of the bolts would be pushing the windshield rubber up in to glass if you flip it over

-
Back