73 Duster - Need Help

-

gt6mk31

Reaction score
Hi all, new here, been reading the posts but still need some input.

I have a 73 Gold Duster, standard 5:4.5 bolt pattern.

Here's what I'm contemplating:

Rear: 15x8 rims with 4" bs (Cragars)
295/50/15 Goodrich T/A

Front: 15x7 rims with 4" bs (Cragars)
205/60/15 Goodrich T/A

After reading other posts, it sounds like the front will work. I'm still a concerned about the rear. I am planning to put air shocks on the back to raise it up a little. I saw a car listed on Ebay with this set up and it looked nice, but he didn't specify if he had made any modifications.

Anybody running this set up? If you have any pics (especially from the rear) would like to see.

Thanks!

In my opinon, you'll either

A) Have to move the springs in to get the tire to sit all the way in the wheel well
B) Atleast roll the 1/4 lip and/or maybe have to run s/s springs (or similar) to keep the 1/4 off the tire
C) Have s/s springs (or similar) to keep the back end high and the tire will stick out of the lip slightly

In my opinion...I would go with a taller front tire to fill up the well a little more and a taller rear tire (275/60/15) will really fill that well up. About 2" taller than the 295/50s. Those 205/60s are only 24" tall and make look a little small up there, unless thats the look you are going for is kind of a 'front runner' look. Just my opinion...

I have some 235/60/15s on my cuda i can toss on my 74 duster for you to see if they even clear up front. I have 275/60/15s on my cuda as well that fit on the back of my duster..

I have 225/60/15 up front and they work great never had any clearance issues but they fill the well nicely. In the back I have 15X7 rims with 225/60/15s on them, but I really want to change that because there is a a lot of space around them. I have HD springs on there and I would imagine a 255 would easily fit. I don't know about the 275 though, maybe with S/S springs you'd clear it. I am not a big fan of air shocks because they stiffen the ride way too much and you can get the same clearance but better performance out of S/S leaf springs.

SGGDuster said:
I have HD springs on there and I would imagine a 255 would easily fit. I don't know about the 275 though, maybe with S/S springs you'd clear it.

Stock slant six springs/shocks it barely clears my duster..however, i am running 3 3/4" backspacing on these rims, a easy 'nother 1/4 inch will clear the spring and the lip im sure.

100_0875.jpg

100_0877.jpg

100_0880-1.jpg

100_0883.jpg

Those are probably gonna rub at some point as the suspension compresses. 1/4" more backspace won't be enough, plus you might have issues with tire flex against the springs. 255s fit perfectly though at the stock ride height, and fill the wheelwells nicely. I flipped the front hangers with SS springs to achieve this effect, worked really well. Car is a real sleeper. Just looking at it in the parking lot you'd never guess it is a little monster. Engine callouts on the fender, wide tires and loud exhaust are the only giveaways.

This Duster had 205x60 15's on the front when I got it and I did not like them. Too small to look at and that profile did not match the handling characteristic of the suspension at all. Very touchy steering with alot of oversteer and harsh ride. Downright dangerous, IMHO. 215's on now work much better.

Think we have finally made a decision

265/50 on 15x8 rims on the rear (4"bs)
215/60 on 15x7 rims on the front (4"bs)

After they get here and we get them mounted will attempt to post a pic.

Thanks for taking time to answer.

Any last minute input????

Any pics yet? I've gotta 73 Duster, stock disc brakes up front and stock spring location in the rear that I am searching for a good rim/tire combo for. I would like to use 15" rims too but I want to fill up those fender wells with some "fatties" in the back and something half way decent up front but skinny's.

Think we have finally made a decision

265/50 on 15x8 rims on the rear (4"bs)
215/60 on 15x7 rims on the front (4"bs)

After they get here and we get them mounted will attempt to post a pic.

Thanks for taking time to answer.

Any last minute input????

Hey gt6, I'm missing something here, sue me I'm getting old, you said in your original post that your car had 5 x 4 1/2" BC all the way around but you're going to the 4" BC Cragars. Why wouldn't you go the 4.5" BC Cragars.

Just Curious Terry

Hey gt6, I'm missing something here, sue me I'm getting old, you said in your original post that your car had 5 x 4 1/2" BC all the way around but you're going to the 4" BC Cragars. Why wouldn't you go the 4.5" BC Cragars.

Just Curious Terry

You misread Demon Seed ...it's bs (back space) ....don't feel bad I need my glasses changed too...LOL

-
Back