73 duster radiator

-

seventyswinger

Reaction score
Hey everyone hopefully you can help me out ! I'm trying to figure out what radiator opening I have. I have a 1973 duster 340 factory a/c car and I have measured the opening and I know for a fact the 22" won't work because the actual opening measures about 24 1/2 " but the only other radiator avail is a 26" that measures 25 3/8, am I missing something here ? Please help

Hey everyone hopefully you can help me out ! I'm trying to figure out what radiator opening I have. I have a 1973 duster 340 factory a/c car and I have measured the opening and I know for a fact the 22" won't work because the actual opening measures about 24 1/2 " but the only other radiator avail is a 26" that measures 25 3/8, am I missing something here ? Please help
At the risk of being a smart ***... the answer to your question is no.

If it's a factory '73 340 A/C Car, it would have originally had a 26" Radiator

It's not a 26" radiator here's a measurement of the opening and it's got the factory radiator support cause the #'s match and it's been in the family forever.

IMG_4647.JPG

prob 22 inch...you going aluminum or going to stay with the stock type ?

ive got the same measurements on my 72 Demon and I used a 26" radiator the 1 1/8 that overlaps the sides is no big deal works great sit in traffic all day long and doesn't overheat

Got the fender tag? Easiest way to know.

IMG_3627.JPG

ive got the same measurements on my 72 Demon and I used a 26" radiator the 1 1/8 that overlaps the sides is no big deal works great sit in traffic all day long and doesn't overheat
Exactly!

My '74 Duster came with a 22" radiator and it has a 22 1/2" opening. Just because it had a 26" radiator doesn't mean it got a 26" opening in the shroud.

Last edited:
Got the fender tag? Easiest way to know.

View attachment 1715025329

Exactly!

My '74 Duster came with a 22" radiator and it has a 22 1/2" opening. Just because it had a 26" radiator doesn't mean it got a 26" opening in the shroud.
Unfortunately no fender tag it wouldn't be a 26" radiator as the mounting bolt holes are 25 1/2 center to center

Well would it be possible to pass any info? any info you have of your set up at this point would be excellent as i'm extremely frustrated thank you

Don't be frustrated over it i really think it's a personal preference i went with it cause I wanted to make absolutely sure I wouldn't have an over heating problem. And you might be just fine with a 22 depending on your fan and shroud depending on what you want.

Unfortunately no fender tag it wouldn't be a 26" radiator as the mounting bolt holes are 25 1/2 center to center

That's just strange. Do you have any pictures of the whole radiator support showing the mounting points?

The stock mounts on my '74 Duster are 24-1/8" center to center, it had a 22" originally. The mounts for the 26" radiator in it now are 28" apart, and they were located from an OE 26" radiator from a '74 Dart.

I redrilled new mounting holes

Wait. What the hell are we doing here? Trying to figure out what size radiator the car had from the factory by measuring non-factory mounting holes you drilled yourself? Yeah that's not gonna work.

Where are the factory mounts? Should be pretty simple, if they're at 24-1/8" center to center it came with a 22" radiator, if they're at ~28" c-c it had a 26".

And since it's a '73 340 A/C car, it should have had a 26" radiator, so the mounts should be out at 28".

Wait. What the hell are we doing here? Trying to figure out what size radiator the car had from the factory by measuring non-factory mounting holes you drilled yourself? Yeah that's not gonna work.

Where are the factory mounts? Should be pretty simple, if they're at 24-1/8" center to center it came with a 22" radiator, if they're at ~28" c-c it had a 26".

And since it's a '73 340 A/C car, it should have had a 26" radiator, so the mounts should be out at 28".

Mounting holes are 25 1/2 center to center

IMG_4649.JPG

Not sure what to tell you. My '71 Dart with a 22" radiator has the mounts at 24-1/2" c-c, same as my '74 Duster which had a 22" radiator.

ya but I do believe the holes on the mounting brackets one side a elongated to fit

Doesn't matter. I'm not measuring the radiator brackets, I'm measuring that captured nuts that are welded to the radiator support. Nothing elongated about those.

If you are looking for numbers find a 73 V8 ac car 318 or 340 car auto and get the radiator if not I found a copper core one at o'rielys for around 225.

-
Back