73+ Duster Tail light bezel shave questions

-

player1up

Reaction score
I've seen some pics out there of 73 and up Dusters with the tail light bezels removed / shaved, and am thinking about doing this myself.
What's involved and does anyone have pics of the process?
One main reason is that mine always seem to leak, even with new gaskets it seems to trap water somewhere in there.
What does the tail light gasket look like on the inside after the conversion?

Do a search there was a topic on this about 1 or 2 years ago, there was a guy with a set of pics that had done it...

Player,

If you find the post, can you post the link ? I looked but no joy.

i want to do something myself.

Thanks
Grassy

That guy would be me.

#1Get a dozen & a couple extra 1/4"x20 x 2" Elevator bolts (pic 1)
#2 use the holes to mark the four corner ones,which are attached to the housing, you'll need to bend some so they stick straight out through the light housing. You also need to trim the plates so they don't interfere with the gasket.
#3 with the housing bolted in place Just tack the four corner bolts in place, remove the housing and finish welding them in place. Put the two center ones in the housing and repeat the process.
#4 As you can see the hole will be larger than you need and you need to create a filler piece and put it in place.
Then finish the welding and filling and install the lights.

Hope this helps
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo373.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 243
  • Photo375.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 258
  • Photo372.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 252
  • Photo376.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 222
  • Photo379.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 232
  • Photo381.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 242
  • Photo387.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 241
I was looking thrugh old posts....should have figured it was you Andrew, Thanks. :lol:

Sorry it took so long to respond, deceleration from light speed is a touchy thing.
Andrew :cya:

Attachments

• WP_000011.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 214
Hmm looks easy enough... Now to do this or keep the bezels? Smoothing these out would save me $350 on repops or roughly the same in re chroming....

Decisions...

Riddler

Im dumb Andrew my bad I thought you had done it to... but there was a guy with pics of a yellow duster with this done too

Is this the yellow car your talking about?

photo_02.html

I'm still debating....both way looks great.

Riddler

this is the pic and what I used for reference
Andrew

Attachments

• 115111_large+1973_Plymouth_Duster+passenger_rear_side_view.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 196
-
Back