73 Duster window sweeps

-

mtn_jake

73-340 Duster Hemi Orange
Reaction score
I need a little help with a situation with the window sweeps I purchased from Year One for my Duster..........I took the window sweeps off my door and in doing so, there is a 'heavy type' bracket (don't know what else to call it) that the window sweep is attached to. My question is.........does the new sweep have to be installed onto the 'heavy type bracket' or is it supposed to just be placed onto the door area as if the bracket is used........Yeahhhhhh
I can't quite figure out how to explain this. Anyway, if there is anyone that has some feedback on this issue, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks in advance,
Greg..........mtn_jake

The new sweeps should have come with a bag of small black screws. They get screwed on instead of clamped on like the originals. The black screws used to hold the outer felts on are larger then the screws for the inner sweeps.

The challenge is taking off the old sweeps and clamps without breaking the plastic.

So I need to take the sweep off of the metal bracket and then use the screws to attach the new one onto the bracket.........
Thanks for the help

jake, are you talking about the little fuzzy things under the top door plastic?

on mine (73 duster) there are a total of 3 metal (j looking) brackets that bolt to the top edge of the door (can only be seen if you remove the upper door plastic), only the 2 at each end have felt on them.

I believe the pieces that H22 is referring to are the ones that pinch the glass between the outer door skin and the inner upper door plastic trim.

No, Not talking about those........It's part number XY43 Side-glass sealing weatherstripping for 1973-1976 Duster from year one. I might have to take a picture of it to clear it up to get the answer I need............I'll try to take care of that today.
I appreciate your help.
Greg

I've taken a picture of the window sweep to help me figure out what is needed to do for the correct mounting of this. THe link is:
http://armentroutsurveying.com/cgi-bin/i/1973Duster/Restoration/Window_Sweep_small.JPG
The sweep on the left side is the back side of the new one.....
the right one is the old sweep on the metal bracket I was trying to describe. I had to take it off the plastic molding that sits on top of the door panel.
I hope that this helps someone help me figure whether I utilize the metal bracket or not in the installation of the new sweep.
Hope someone can help me out.
I'd greatly appreciate it.
Greg

Gotcha Jake, Did the same ones on my duster, I just screwed them to the plastic panel... make sure to drill pilot holes as the screws will split the plastic.

I believe the difference in cost between the 2 sweep kits available is the mounting.

FA-WW192 and
FA-WX192 from Laysons

Thanks........I kinda thought that might be the way to go but didn't want to start tearing the old sweep off the bracket and try to put the new one onto it till I found out for sure. The bracket by the way was a REAL PAIN to get off the plastic!!!.....as you seen in the photo, it was nearly bent past recognition.
Thanks again for the info.
Greg.........mtn_jake

Greg, (hey look i got it right this time.... right?)
I had a really hard time of it too, ended up cracking one of the panels.
yeah it is funny that they make the panel out of plastic but the whisker holder downer is made of metal and has to run the whole way down the thing.

-
Back