73 road runner fender tag

-

dustdevil

Reaction score
hey guys i know this isnt a question about an a body but im hoping someone can help me out. im thinkn of buying a 73 road runner but it doesnt have its fender tag..now is there any other way to find out if this is a true road runner? im thinking its a satellite but the owner is certain its a real road runner. but with a full vinyl top and a wood trim steering wheel is leading me to believe its a satellite. now ive never seen a road runner with a full vinyl top just the half vinyl top.
the owner is also saying a has a matching 340, 727, 8 3/4 rear and has a floor shifter. the vin number is stating its a road runner with the h code for the 340. but im sure you can transplant parts from road runner to satellite to make a clone. what would you guys do?

If you can, check behind and under the back seats for a broadcast sheet. If there is one, Galen Govier can make you a new fender tag.

If the car is legit, the VIN will start RM21H3. Roadrunners did come with full vinyl tops as an option, the steering wheel I'm not too sure about but it's easy to change a steering wheel. One giveaway it's a Satellite interior-wise would be a long retangular sweep speedo... all Runners came with the Rallye guage set-up from 71-74. A 150 speedo and tach would be a real bonus! Another giveaway: if the rear 1/4 windows roll down like a hardtop, it's a Satellite. All 73/4 Roadrunners had fixed windows...

PS: There is a VIN stamping on the upper rad support. If it matches the VIN on the dash, it's real. There's another hidden under the package tray under the rear window but you'd have to disassemble the interior to get to it.

Good luck!

thanks guys im gonna start reseaching it more. so is it possible to swap the entire dash out with the vin and all and put it in a satellite?

Here is a stripe on a 73 RR.

a3dd_121.jpg

oh sorry, i meant if the came with some kind of stripe kit if they had a full vinyl top or were they just bare with no stripe kit?

Full vinyl top cars were stripe-delete. Only the above-pictured stripe was available for 73/4 and obviously it wouldn't work with the vinyl top.

The stripe could be deleted though on all Roadrunners.

yeah i have never seen a full vinyl top road runner before..thats why i was thinking it was a satellite.

hey demondave i thought even 73/4 satellites had fixed rear windows too?

You're right in that the most basic Satellite had fixed windows as standard but both the more common Satellite Sebring and Sebring Plus cars had roll-down 1/4 windows. :)

thanks guys im gonna start reseaching it more. so is it possible to swap the entire dash out with the vin and all and put it in a satellite?

Possible? Yes.

Illegal? Yes.

Swapping VINs from one car to another comes with a jail sentence.

the owner is stating that the motor, tranny and door jamb sticker all match up..but heres the thing how possible is it to transfer all that on to a satellite from a road runner? i figured there are people who are out there to rip people off so im trying to be as cautious as possible.

PS: There is a VIN stamping on the upper rad support. If it matches the VIN on the dash, it's real. There's another hidden under the package tray under the rear window but you'd have to disassemble the interior to get to it.

Good luck!

I would try to see the car in person. Then check the rad support like DemonDave said. Not to knock the seller but there is no better way to know than to see it with your own eyes. Yes it is ez enough to change parts out. A lot of times an owner will have a desirable car like a road runner that is in bad shape. He may also have a less desiarable car like a satellite that is in much better shape. What does he do? Thats it, Switch parts make more money. Now that I have said that and it has been known to happen. That might not be the deal here. But you wont know if you don't go check it out. Ask him lots of questions and see if he has any other info on the car.

Good luck.

ok dumb question..wheres exactly do i look on the radiator support for the vin? hmm you know guys i now remember the owner saying he had the original radiator out of the car cuz it crap out..sounds to fishy.

seeing it in person is gonna be kinda hard since the car is in ohio and im in texas. i have located a company automobile inspections that for $379.00 they will go and check threw the whole car for rust, driveability, vin etc etc. figure it will save me from making a big mistake.

-
Back