73 spool trans mount/ Drive shaft Blues..

-
If its a small yoke leave it be unless there is a problem with the rear. Why open up another can of worms. The Joints small or big take the same caps. I ran many 4 speed cars with the smaller joints with slicks on and didn't have issues. Unless the pinion angle is incorrect they hols up well. My Duster had the small joints with 29x14.5 slicks 800+ at the crank 5500 converter and never a problem. When we moved the rear forward and I had a shaft made I put GM joints in the rear. You just have to control spring wrap and don't but cheap u-joints in.
The ones currently in it have less than 300 miles on them, the guy at that drive shaft shop said they were "Heavy duty 1 ton U joints" I looked at them, they say made in USA, so that's comforting.
I might just run these U joints, and if I get a new tube go to 3" tube.
I Never knew there was so much to the different types of U joints of # of slip yoke.
I threw a tape on the U joints and it's about 3" cap end to cap end, any idea what # of yoke this would be?
Also, if this yoke has a marring line on it, what are the chances it'll do that to the new one?
I have kind of thought that was just due to the shaft being too short.

Last edited:
-
Back