73 swinger front and back glass question

-

Cameron1038

Reaction score
Hello,

I just finished removing the trim around the front and back glass from my 73 swinger.. wow.. what a frigging job! My question is: what is holding the glass in?? I dont plan on using those god awful metal clips to put the trim back in.. they are too rusted out anyway. So, I want to make sure the clips and trim werent part of the support for the windshield, front and back.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Cameron

The gasket is holding it in. Are you wanting to save the gaskets? I not you will need to cut the lip on the gasket. Carefully once you get it all cut out you need to work your way around GENTLY....

not sure about darts but I know my duster had the rubber strip that locks the gasket in place on the bottom portion of the gasket.

ther should be a little lip on the bottom part of the gasket that is tucked into itself. take a flat head screw driver and pop that lip out all the way around and the rubber locking strip should now be visible. you can peel up and end of the rubber strip and peel it out of the channel in the gasket and that will "unlock" the gasket.

from there its all finessing the gasket out of the car.

I have not done many so I will let others who have more experience in the area give you better details on steps to take.

and no the clips do not have anything to do with holding the windshield in....but if you plan on putting your chrome trim back on you will need them.

I got a full set of new ones on ebay for like $15.00 shipped I think it was. and they come with screws with wax coated threads to seal up the screw holes to prevent leaking also......I also smeared a dab of weatherstripping adhesive on each screws threads just for added peace of mind against leaks.

hope that helps some.

well if you have new gaskets, wich are a beotch to get right now all you need is a box cutter and a pair of pliars I just cut the fron of the gasket to allow me to grab a chunk with the pliars and then just walk the pliars around the car untill all the gasket has ripped off and the whala the window will push right out off hole

thanks guys, im not actually pulling to glass, just the trim so i can paint. was hoping that i could get away with black silicone instead of the clips for putting the trim back on when im done.

-
Back