73 swinger pro touring

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
hey guys i have my 73 dart that im getting back up to par and want to get some rubber under it! im looking at 15x7 or 16x7 with a 255 right around 27 tall. im already planning on extending out the front fender lip a bit. so you think they will fit?

also the glitch is i have to run the same rim on all 4 so i can rotate! basically if i can get the front to work i make the rear work even if i have to change axle length lol.

so i have stock Large ball joint 73 discs up front and 8.25 rear, yea i know! i would prefere the 16's for bigger brakes later. what have you guys got to fit?

oh and going to be running the V-5 crager wheels.

Attachments

• 100_5711.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 688
  • 100_5715.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 684
  • 100_5716.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 638
I'll be interested to hear what the experts say but my hunch is that a 255 is too meaty for a 7" wide wheel where handling is a priority. You'll end up with a lot of deflection....

Also, until you play with the wheel offsets/fender clearance, I think you'll run into problems at both ends.

IIRC, my 245s are really close to the leaf springs in the rear, would probably rub the fenders in the front.

Keep us posted!!
What are your plans for suspension and motor?

I'll be interested to hear what the experts say but my hunch is that a 255 is too meaty for a 7" wide wheel where handling is a priority. You'll end up with a lot of deflection....

Also, until you play with the wheel offsets/fender clearance, I think you'll run into problems at both ends.

IIRC, my 245s are really close to the leaf springs in the rear, would probably rub the fenders in the front.

Keep us posted!!
What are your plans for suspension and motor?

mild slant with 200r4 trans, 3.73's in the 8.25 with a sure grip. suspension will be 1.06 bars bilstein shocks. on the rear im not sure what leafs yet

If it helps any, I have 245/60/15s up front on police wheels. They work well and don't rub. I also run adjustable strut rods with heim joints which keeps the wheel centered in the wheel opening a bit better than the stock rubber. They fit well on the 7" rim but if you went up to 16s or 17s you might want a wider rim.

hope this helps.

Yea 245's are the biggest I've been able to squeeze with about 3/4 of an inch clearance from the spring on a 7 inch wide rim

we just put 255-60-15 (front)
275-60-15 (rear)
7" wide rim
on this 72

first pic, is NOT rub marks
it's where they are dirty, and were stacked , on top of each other, in storage

002-3.jpg

006-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

012-1.jpg

If it helps any, I have 245/60/15s up front on police wheels. They work well and don't rub. I also run adjustable strut rods with heim joints which keeps the wheel centered in the wheel opening a bit better than the stock rubber. They fit well on the 7" rim but if you went up to 16s or 17s you might want a wider rim.

hope this helps.

im planning on 16x7's or x8's.

we just put 255-60-15 (front)
275-60-15 (rear)
7" wide rim
on this 72

first pic, is NOT rub marks
it's where they are dirty, and were stacked , on top of each other, in storage

what offset did you run up front?

I really don't know, I took them off the 73 Cuda
put reg rims on, (to paint the Cuda)

I'll pull one off tomorrow, and measure it

4" back space

we also are running BBP disc, on front

we only put these tires on, just to see IF they would fit, and
to rob tires from the this Green dart to put on the White dart, because the Green dart needs the body repair and paint first

004.jpg

012-1.jpg

But, NOW, I really like the looks of these, and will put other tires on the Cuda later.

White dart needs tires Now.
a little more work SBP vs BBP
010-5.jpg

019-1.jpg

022.jpg

4" back space

we also are running BBP disc, on front

we only put these tires on, just to see IF they would fit, and
to rob tires from the this Green dart to put on the White dart, because the Green dart needs the body repair and paint first

but, NOW, I really like the looks of these, and will put other tires on the Cuda later.

White dart needs tires Now.
a little more work SBP vs BBP

cool cool. BBP disc are the 73 and up discs?
Thanks

If you dont mind my saying so, those tires look pretty damn old. If so, they might be trash since the compound doesnt last forever. Be careful.

That said, good to know those big tires fit. The test will be when you drive over some bumps and the suspension deflects. Good luck. :)

If you dont mind my saying so, those tires look pretty damn old. If so, they might be trash since the compound doesnt last forever. Be careful.

That said, good to know those big tires fit. The test will be when you drive over some bumps and the suspension deflects. Good luck. :)

the tires are about 5 or 6 years old but have maybe 1000 miles on them... it was only 1000 miles off from the mileage of when i gave it to my dad in 08 lol.

so the above member used 255/60-15's on a 15x7 with 4" bs. what BS would you go with on an 8"?? would you just go a hlf inch more BS or what?

ok got a tester wheel and tire for the Swinger!

rear fits like a glove with 4.5" BS on 8" rim. would want to run 1/4" shim though.

front gets more complicated...
with 4.5" bs the shoulder of the tire sticks out, so it gonna need another 1/2" of BS for 5" backspacing up front. this alone with help with the slight interference on the front fender edge (which i can radius) but im worried about loss of turning radius.

here are some pics! the mounted front wheel pic freaked out for some reason and was cut in half... time for a new camera.

Attachments

• 100_5779.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 429
  • 100_5780.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 409
  • 100_5783.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 431
  • 100_5781.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 425
  • 100_5782.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 441
Cragar says they can do up to a 5 3/8" BS on the V5 16x8 wheels. but is it enough!

-
Back