74 bumper shocks

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
I have the bumper shocks at the rear,not in front.So i have read somewhere that 1 can drill a hole in the shocks to drain the juice ,what i would like to gain is getting the bumper closer to the body,anyone done this or heard of it? 74 Duster.

If you have a 74 model year Duster it also has the bumper shocks for the front bumper unless the previous owner(s) removed them already. Bumper shocks first appeared on the front in 73 and then we're add to the rear in 74 to meet the 5mph impact requirements mandated by Government at both ends.

If you have a 74 model year Duster it also has the bumper shocks for the front bumper unless the previous owner(s) removed them already. Bumper shocks first appeared on the front in 73 and then we're add to the rear in 74 to meet the 5mph impact requirements mandated by Government at both ends.

hmm... my 74 dart doesn't have them on the front either and i can find no place where they would have mounted? got an pics of said bumper shocks? it does have the rears

Ya mine have them in the rear,but nothing up front.I just saw a thread about using 71-72 rear brackets for our 74 Duster than we can shed tons of weight off not to Mencken now we can get a new rear 71-72 bumper.:D

I have to repectfully disagree. Every Duster and Dart Sport I've seen has "regular" bumper brackets front & rear in '73. 1974 got rear only shock absorber brackets and 1975 went to front and rear shock absorber brackets. Swingers, Customs, valiants, etc. may be slightly different. (Bumpers do not interchange between standard brackets & the shock absorber versions. Gotta have the whole assembly.)

You can save a good bit of weight on the shock absorber mounted bumpers by finding the Dart Lite and Feather Duster versions. They have formed aluminum reinforcements behind the bumper itself instead of steel.

Apparently 74 was the changeover year. The body service manual references the fillers as (if applicable). And the attachment of the bumper " to energy absorber units ( or to bumper supports)". This wording is used for front and rear.
Here's a pic of the absorber guts. I took mine apart to clean up and paint them, but kept as stock. Not sure if you need to drain them to get full compression. Because of the spring, i would think tack welds or screws through both cans may be needed to keep them compressed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 225
'74's had rear shock bumpers, but had standard front bumpers. My '74 Duster had standard brackets up front, and so did the '74 Dart I parted out. Not only that, but my '74 Duster is a pretty "late" '74, with a production date of June 1974. '75 was the first year for front mounted shock bumpers.

One thing my '74 Duster does have is both sets of mounting bolts for the front bumpers. It has the captured nuts in the frame for both the standard mounting brackets as well as the later shock mounted bumpers. Earlier car's didn't have captured nut for the shock mount bumpers, and 75+ cars didn't have the captured nut for the earlier standard mount bumpers. Lucky on my part, as that was something I didn't know when I bought my '74 Duster. Good thing too, because otherwise I would have had to come up with a way to mount my '71 style front bumper when I converted it to '71 Demon bodywork.

As far as collapsing the shock mounts and tucking the rear bumpers up closer to the car goes, it won't work very well. Not because you can't defeat the shock bumpers, you can, but because the bumper is significantly wider than the back of the car. The rubber filler takes care of the gap because the bumper sticks out so far, but it also tapers back into the body. If you put the later style bumper right up against the body, the ends will stick out by more than a inch past the width of the quarters on each side. I looked at tucking in the stock bumper on my '74 before I realized it was actually easier to just use the earlier non-shock mounted bumper and brackets.

-
Back