74 Dart column to floor shift conversion

-

360nut71

Reaction score
I am using an 80s van floor column to convert my existing 74 dart column shift. I am using my original power column and just the 3 piece column sleeve from the van. It works the internals are the same. I do need a spring for the three piece collet on the column. The first piece on a column shift is held by a pin, on the floor shift it is held to the shaft by a spring that fits around the shaft. Mine is junk, I need one. Also my column lock works but I believe there is a sping to hold pressure on the locking mechanism. Again mine is junk.

My column works fine I just need a couple of springs. An exploded view of the column would help. Anyone know how to find one.

OK, this worked. I started with a column from an 80s van. I bought the pieces disassembled on ebay for 50 bucks. Since I had never done this I thought I was missing pieces or had bad springs. I went to Pull A Part today and bought a floor column fron an early 80s truck. I pulled it apart and discovered the correct way to install the spings. I had also installed the locking plate backwards. I used my ignition internals and column from my column shift and now I have a working/locking floor column.

Now I have an extra conversion I will sell for 50 bucks. If anyone is interested I will post photos and more details. Go get these late 70s/early 80s van and truck columns. then use your column to make a great original looking. floor shift column

powersteeeringcolumn74swinger.jpg
Hey I have a whole column out of a 74 dart swinger ,it is an automatic on the column power steering . I have the key and all for $40 + shipping

-
Back