74 Dart sport 5.9 Magnum swap

-

IneedMOparts

Reaction score
So I'm doing a magnum swap running factory ECU and harness from a 97 Ram. I will be running my factory 727 trans from the dart and I know I need a VSS from a late 80's truck. So here is my question, If the computer isn't seeing data from the other trans sensors that were in the truck will it put it in limp mode? I know it will set the check engine light. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I'll be watching this thread. I was asking a similar question about throwing codes w/O a vss as I will be running a manual trans. I think you can skip the trans controllers altogher if you use an aftermarket wiring harness. But I'll look forward to the experts answers on this!

Use an ECM from a 5.9 Ram 5 speed truck without security from Solo Electronics in Florida and save yourself a lot of headaches. You can reflash a performance tune with an SCT Tuner from Sean at Hemifever for impressive performance gains.

(Added) I used a 1998 ECM, bigger Hughes roller cam, a home ported Keg manifold, Summit Headers and 4-hole 25lbs Mustang injectors, along with a Hotwire Auto - Hotrod Harness. I put all this on a junkyard 5.9 that turned out to have a bad ring set in the #1 cylinder. The car was still amazingly fast with a stock stall converter & 727 with 3.23's out back.

Later I built a 408" ported Eddie headed stroker with an Airgap, Big gulp TB and larger injectors for the car and put a 200R4 overdrive behind it with 3.91's. I just reflashed the ECU and it runs great. It's truly plug and play.

Attachments

• B4.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 414
I'm getting ready to do this same install.
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out

I talked to Chris at Hotwire harnesses yesterday. You can get your PCM flashed with a tune for a manual trans vehicle. That way the computer doesn't require any trans input and won't throw codes

Use an ECM from a 5.9 Ram 5 speed truck without security from Solo Electronics in Florida and save yourself a lot of headaches. You can reflash a performance tune with an SCT Tuner from Sean at Hemifever for impressive performance gains.

(Added) I used a 1998 ECM, bigger Hughes roller cam, a home ported Keg manifold, Summit Headers and 4-hole 25lbs Mustang injectors, along with a Hotwire Auto - Hotrod Harness. I put all this on a junkyard 5.9 that turned out to have a bad ring set in the #1 cylinder. The car was still amazingly fast with a stock stall converter & 727 with 3.23's out back.

Later I built a 408" ported Eddie headed stroker with an Airgap, Big gulp TB and larger injectors for the car and put a 200R4 overdrive behind it with 3.91's. I just reflashed the ECU and it runs great. It's truly plug and play.

Looks awesome jbc426 thanks for the info!

I talked to Chris at Hotwire harnesses yesterday. You can get your PCM flashed with a tune for a manual trans vehicle. That way the computer doesn't require any trans input and won't throw codes

Thanks valiantone, Will Hotwire flash the pcm if your not buying a harness from them? As much as I'd love to buy there harness I'm not looking to spend 1000 for it. LoL

Thanks valiantone, Will Hotwire flash the pcm if your not buying a harness from them? As much as I'd love to buy there harness I'm not looking to spend 1000 for it. LoL

Chris mentioned that for this particular application they use an outside vendor. I'd call and ask him if they would do it or supply the vendor info.

I was planning on buying their harness as I don't have one at all. But, I may be buying another dodge ram this weekend. If I do I may just use that harness. Fingers crossed.

-
Back