74 Dart Sport. Hedman Header Hell.

-
I removed the filter, and that brace, I guess all I can do is jack the thing up even higher than before, starts getting pretty sketchy once I go past a certain point though.

I thought the same. But it will eventually reach a "hard point" that it can't go up anymore. Like I said. Just watch the distributor cap. Go slow. Gentle. And it will be fine.

With the engine jacked up. That header should drop in from the top easy.

yeah.. lift the engine.. the pictures you have is just lifting the car. I didn't read everything though So maybe I missed it.

i am installing a set of those right now as well on a 72 duster. i have a 73 k frame and spool mounts. the passenger side wasnt too bad. i too had the car up on jacks as high as i could get them. i loosened up both motor mount bolts, used a bottle jack and a block of wood under the oil pan. i had to unbolt my fan shroud so my fan didnt run into it. . jacked up the front of the motor as high as i could safely get it. you have to raise the header up on an angle. the torsion is in the way but you can work it past it . dont be afraid to use a little muscle it should go in. the issue i am having is the driver side hits the steering box. so i can not bolt the header up because i can not slide it forward enough . i contacted hedman and the guy tells me he thinks motor mounts are the issue ....LMAO. i see a refund in my future and a set of dougs very soon
pipe 2.jpg

I thought the same. But it will eventually reach a "hard point" that it can't go up anymore. Like I said. Just watch the distributor cap. Go slow. Gentle. And it will be fine.

With the engine jacked up. That header should drop in from the top easy.
Well I'll give it another shot tomorrow, but if it doesn't work, I'm taking the torsion bar out.

Even my Doug's D453 headers were a *****......I can only imagine these...

Jeff

Well I'll give it another shot tomorrow, but if it doesn't work, I'm taking the torsion bar out.

It's always worth a shot. I'm amazed you're having this problems. Mine ALMOST went in with the engine still bolted in. Passenger side was a breeze.

Jeff

They are a *****. I got the cheap hookers. Took 4 hours to get em in place. Only to have my buddy snap an exhaust stud on the passenger side. I gave him that side cause it had more clearance! It was supposed to be the easy side. Then he snapped the extractor in the stud. Then we rounded off another extractor. And it had to go to the shop to be fixed with fire.

i am installing a set of those right now as well on a 72 duster. i have a 73 k frame and spool mounts. the passenger side wasnt too bad. i too had the car up on jacks as high as i could get them. i loosened up both motor mount bolts, used a bottle jack and a block of wood under the oil pan. i had to unbolt my fan shroud so my fan didnt run into it. . jacked up the front of the motor as high as i could safely get it. you have to raise the header up on an angle. the torsion is in the way but you can work it past it . dont be afraid to use a little muscle it should go in. the issue i am having is the driver side hits the steering box. so i can not bolt the header up because i can not slide it forward enough . i contacted hedman and the guy tells me he thinks motor mounts are the issue ....LMAO. i see a refund in my future and a set of dougs very soonView attachment 1715040350
Thats so strange, I got power steering and my drivers side fit just fine. Although I did take the massive starter out and haven't put it back in yet...

0419171913a.jpg

Well thanks to anyone that responded, I really appreciate all the help and info! Someone asked for a full build post so I might do that later tonight. I'll still update this for the next few days until I get this problem resolved.

Thats so strange, I got power steering and my drivers side fit just fine. Although I did take the massive starter out and haven't put it back in yet...

View attachment 1715040351
Another lesson learned with these. Put 90 deg spark plug boots on the two back plugs on the driver's side with some fiberglass protective boots to prevent melting them. Those straight boots you have on there won't last.

Another lesson learned with these. Put 90 deg spark plug boots on the two back plugs on the driver's side with some fiberglass protective boots to prevent melting them. Those straight boots you have on there won't last.
Yeah I did plan on changing those later on down the road

Jeff
Sorry to hijack, how long did it take you to do the D453's? I just have to swap out my regular starter for the mini-starter I have sitting on the back passenger floor, then I'll be ready to go. I figure I'll put in the 1.03" torsion bars at the same time.

Sorry to hijack, how long did it take you to do the D453's? I just have to swap out my regular starter for the mini-starter I have sitting on the back passenger floor, then I'll be ready to go. I figure I'll put in the 1.03" torsion bars at the same time.
It was the driver's side that was the problem. ...I bet I spent 4 hours just on that side...

Jeff

It was the driver's side that was the problem. ...I bet I spent 4 hours just on that side...

Jeff
More thread hijacking apologies.
Since I'm planning to swap out my 675 heads for a set of 302 heads I have sitting in my closet, would it be easier to drop them in from the top while the heads are off?

The Hookers I installed on my 72 Swinger were no cake walk either. Short oil filter solved passenger side dilema. Hooker neglected one little thing in their instructions. The part about the drag link having to go "through" the headers. I did go see my buddy at the industrial supply house and gathered up the appropriate allen head bolts for the flanges, that made life a little easier. I must have needed to do the head gaskets too. Just to let me know that the 318 decided to snap two of the old exhaust studs, the easy to get to pair, under the power brake booster. My machinist had that remedied shortly after I dropped the head off at his shop. Worst part was, I didn't get to drive it through town uncorked to the muffler shop. Easiest headers i ever did, F100, big block, dropped right in through the top, 2 hours start to finish.

Alright after about 2 hours and a lot of prying with a crowbar I finally got the header on. Didn't have to take the torsion bar out, just needed leverage. Thanks again everyone, I'll start the build post later tonight.

Good job laddie. Operating Engineer's credo "If it don't go force it ... If it don't force ... F#$& it". "There is no substitute for brute force and ignorance". See what happens to ya when you operate heavy equipment for 40 yrs. Stay in school! Keep the hot roddin fire goin though.

All,

I just did the pass side on my 73 Dart 360 couple weeks ago. Jack Pass side as high as it will go. Engine is in its mounts. Fed it up from the bottom, no oil filter. Kinda hangs on the torsion bar, just had to "influence" it a bit as the t bar did give way enough to slide on by!
Badda Boom Badda Bing! Did the driver side w/o the steering column and no starter, no center link, piece of cake. I know yeah right! lol

Marion

All,

I just did the pass side on my 73 Dart 360 couple weeks ago. Jack Pass side as high as it will go. Engine is in its mounts. Fed it up from the bottom, no oil filter. Kinda hangs on the torsion bar, just had to "influence" it a bit as the t bar did give way enough to slide on by!
Badda Boom Badda Bing! Did the driver side w/o the steering column and no starter, no center link, piece of cake. I know yeah right! lol

Marion
The real beeech here is that every dang one of these cars are slightly different. ....no one answer works for all of them.....

If it was easy, everyone would have a badass Mopar!

:steering:

Jeff

-
Back