74 dart swinger cranks but no start

-

Gunner213

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first time owning a classic mopar and since the day ive had id ive had issues with it. Bought it back in may 2022 and have been "daily driving" it and havent had issues i couldn't solve but when it comes to electrical I'd rather just leave it to the people who know what they are doing. Anyways just last week i was switching out the alrernator to a 65amp one cause the other was already no good but didnt have any issues with the old alternator before. Weirdly enough though when i went to hook everything back up and start the car and no surprise it didnt kick over but I did hear the ignition "module whining"? It started smoking right after and I immediately went to disconnect it(there's a wire that hooks up to the battery and its what I disconnected to turn off the ignition module) (is there supposed to be such wire?). I did notice that the my 74 plug is a 5 pin and the module was a 4 pin, swapped it out for a 5pin module and still nothing. I've traced down a couple of wires in the engine bay that were in horrendous condition with fresh new ones (all done one wire at a time lol). Ive come across a few videos explaining how to diagnose this problem but no luck yet on my end. I know this year has the seatbelt interlock or whatever but its already been bypassed by the previous owner. Any in detailed help would be greatly appreciated.

I' having a hard time wrapping my head around this-
hook everything back up and start the car and no surprise it didnt kick over but I did hear the ignition "module whining"?
Is it cranking over, or not?
It started smoking right after and I immediately went to disconnect it(there's a wire that hooks up to the battery and its what I disconnected to turn off the ignition module) (is there supposed to be such wire?).
Need a pic.

65 Amp alternator feeding original wiring almost 50 years old?
I don't know but probably should have stayed with a lower Amp, factory output alternator.

Hard to tell what wires you smoked from your description.
Starter relay? Fusible link?
Starter solenoid?

No idea what may be causing the short, but start with "what you did." You may have mis-wired someting OR THE NEW ALTERNATOR may be defective. Disconnect it.

Let's get some definitions:

"Cranking" or "cranking over" or "turn over" This means the engine rotates when the key is twisted to start, powered by the starter motor

"Fire".....Means try to start, cough, buck, possibly run for a few seconds

"Fire and run" means start and remain running not necessarily "perfectly."

NOTE If the engine won't crank, check for the dreaded SEAT BELT INTERLOCK and you should bypass it. When it trips it interrupts the start circuit which energizes the starter relay

This is the seat belt interlock reset box, mounted on the driver side fender apron

1974 duster seat belt interlock module removal

It has two "yellowish" wires, you want to splice them together.

I'm sending you a PM

So it was running before you swapped the alternator?

I' having a hard time wrapping my head around this-

Is it cranking over, or not?

Need a pic.
Sorry, yes it cranks over but doesn't want to run
No idea what may be causing the short, but start with "what you did." You may have mis-wired someting OR THE NEW ALTERNATOR may be defective. Disconnect it.

"Cranking" or "cranking over" or "turn over" This means the engine rotates when the key is twisted to start, powered by the starter motor

NOTE If the engine won't crank, check for the dreaded SEAT BELT INTERLOCK and you should bypass it. When it trips it interrupts the start circuit which energizes the starter relay

This is the seat belt interlock reset box, mounted on the driver side fender apron

I'm sending you a PM
Yes its cranking over, just doesnt want to run, it appears the previous owners did the bypass already too, t
65 Amp alternator feeding original wiring almost 50 years old?
I don't know but probably should have stayed with a lower Amp, factory output alternator.

Hard to tell what wires you smoked from your description.
Starter relay? Fusible link?
Starter solenoid?
Found the "fusible link" literally just a butt connector

16620548692707753614577747910461.jpg

I'm sending you a PM

This main green wire im touching is what i disconnected when i heard the module whine

16620550177522181828448065494254.jpg

Much appreciated everyone! I opted to just re-wire the main harnesses in the engine bay (all screwed up anyways), change out voltage regulator, new coil, plugs, she fires right up.

-
Back