74 Dart Swinger

-

Flat Rate

Reaction score
74 Dart Swinger- Restoring and looking for recommendations. 3.7, Auto, no A/C.
Need: Wheel molding, vinyl top, upholstery, carpet, door panel, package tray, vents/hoses. Everything is green...
Should I put black vinyl for some contrast or keep it green?!
Manufactured in May of 73, does it take loop or cut pile carpet? There is loop in it now. Really only need front half of carpet, but all I can find is sold in sets (front and back). Only need driver door panel/trim (has fake wood grain), but only see it sold in sets. These items are much more $ than I thought they would be, so I am trying not to break the bank. Getting paint and body now so I would like to get these items asap.
Also, any input on rebuilding the power brake vacuum booster?
Help!

74 Dart Swinger.jpg

IMO pretty neat the way it sets piece of advise once you start there's no stopping and open the wallet

I did the black contrast in the interior on a '70 Dart I used to own and really liked the result, left the white vinyl top off and painted it all F8 green, it's a personal preference, too much of any color doesn't work for me. I would think loop for the carpet, but may depend on trim level,(low, medium, or high), as determined by the second character in the VIN code. I would suggest looking for used parts on this site among others if you wish to stay on a budget. New reproduction parts are expensive, and often not very good quality, lots of members have had bad experiences with repops. Rebuilding the booster should probably be handled by a shop that specializes in them, I have no experience in them myself. Legendary has upholstery for most cars, and a good reputation. Your brightwork can be restored as long as it's not rusted, dents can be removed and polishing will return the shine.

Nice car, keep us posted, and BTW we love lots of pictures!

74 Dart Swinger- Restoring and looking for recommendations. 3.7, Auto, no A/C.
Need: Wheel molding, vinyl top, upholstery, carpet, door panel, package tray, vents/hoses. Everything is green...
Should I put black vinyl for some contrast or keep it green?!
Manufactured in May of 73, does it take loop or cut pile carpet? There is loop in it now. Really only need front half of carpet, but all I can find is sold in sets (front and back). Only need driver door panel/trim (has fake wood grain), but only see it sold in sets. These items are much more $ than I thought they would be, so I am trying not to break the bank. Getting paint and body now so I would like to get these items asap.
Also, any input on rebuilding the power brake vacuum booster?
Help!

View attachment 1715532685

I see and hear a lot of people talking about Booster Dewey on brake boosters and all with favorable things to say about them.
Power Brake Booster Exchange | Providing Parts for Classic Cars

IMO pretty neat the way it sets piece of advise once you start there's no stopping and open the wallet
Well, the process is already begun! Too late to go back to the way it sat in this picture.

I did the black contrast in the interior on a '70 Dart I used to own and really liked the result, left the white vinyl top off and painted it all F8 green, it's a personal preference, too much of any color doesn't work for me. I would think loop for the carpet, but may depend on trim level,(low, medium, or high), as determined by the second character in the VIN code. I would suggest looking for used parts on this site among others if you wish to stay on a budget. New reproduction parts are expensive, and often not very good quality, lots of members have had bad experiences with repops. Rebuilding the booster should probably be handled by a shop that specializes in them, I have no experience in them myself. Legendary has upholstery for most cars, and a good reputation. Your brightwork can be restored as long as it's not rusted, dents can be removed and polishing will return the shine.

Nice car, keep us posted, and BTW we love lots of pictures!
Thank you for the time put into the response and the tips. Will update as it comes along.

Nice car I like it. I'm currently working on a 75 ! Keep an eye out in the ads here for the door panel there was a member here that had a really nice one but I cant remember what side it was for. My suggestion is to only work on one thing at a time. Do not disassemble the whole car or anything more than what you are able to do in a days time. I would suggest you start with the safety component first. Ball joints bushings tie rods idle arm brakes, new tires etc. Then drive it enjoy it and upgrade as you drive it. It's more enjoyable that way.

Nice car I like it. I'm currently working on a 75 ! Keep an eye out in the ads here for the door panel there was a member here that had a really nice one but I cant remember what side it was for. My suggestion is to only work on one thing at a time. Do not disassemble the whole car or anything more than what you are able to do in a days time. I would suggest you start with the safety component first. Ball joints bushings tie rods idle arm brakes, new tires etc. Then drive it enjoy it and upgrade as you drive it. It's more enjoyable that way.
Thanks for your reply. I have taken baby steps up to this point. Car hadn't run in 4-5 years when I got it. Main focus was to get it running and mechanically sound (enough anyway). Main thing remaining there is to rebuild the power brake vacuum booster. Ordered after market, but keeps getting delayed- guessing it comes out of China? So, I am going to have the original rebuilt. Finally, after more than a year, I have sent it to get body and paint. Since it is there, I am trying to replace what I can that makes sense while it is there. Is too much $ at one time, but still less now since so much is dismantled. Ball joints, bushings, tie rods, and idle arms yet to come when necessary. Wish I had the tooling and know-how to do those myself and save some $!

Thanks for your reply. I have taken baby steps up to this point. Car hadn't run in 4-5 years when I got it. Main focus was to get it running and mechanically sound (enough anyway). Main thing remaining there is to rebuild the power brake vacuum booster. Ordered after market, but keeps getting delayed- guessing it comes out of China? So, I am going to have the original rebuilt. Finally, after more than a year, I have sent it to get body and paint. Since it is there, I am trying to replace what I can that makes sense while it is there. Is too much $ at one time, but still less now since so much is dismantled. Ball joints, bushings, tie rods, and idle arms yet to come when necessary. Wish I had the tooling and know-how to do those myself and save some $!
There is only one way to learn my friend. That's to do it. There are so many helpful members here myself included, that can help guide you thru it. My philosophy is I can spend let's say 300 bucks to have shop do my my balls joints. Or I can go buy the tooling for let's say 200 bucks learn to do it myself and have the tooling and the knowledge to last the rest of my life.

There is only one way to learn my friend. That's to do it. There are so many helpful members here myself included, that can help guide you thru it. My philosophy is I can spend let's say 300 bucks to have shop do my my balls joints. Or I can go buy the tooling for let's say 200 bucks learn to do it myself and have the tooling and the knowledge to last the rest of my life.
You are right! I will take on some of the work, though some will have to b farmed out to the pro's.

-
Back