74 dart vibration problem.

-
its in the motor or the accessories on the front . did you try undoing the belts one by one? 273,318,steel crank 340 no weights on the convertor.
yep, did that. The main pulley is a little bent and wobbles a tiny bit. Need to find a new pully or a used perfect one.

A bent pully wouldn't make it vibrate unless it was bent alot. You said yourconverter had weights an you think it had a 360 in it at one time. There will be a small wieght on some 318 converters for balancing of the converter alone . But If you have two larger wieghts side by side it is for a externally balanced 360 or 73 . 340. Both weights can be removed while in the car. I have done this for guys.

They are spot welded on . You can take them off with a cut off wheel by carefully cutting down through the weld until you are close to the bottom and then chisel them off. I wouldn't suggest just trying to chisel them off without cutting through some of the weld first. I have seen guys pull a hole in the converter at the spot weld. Do this where a tig welder is handy incase of this happenning you can just tig weld it shut. Do not use a mig sometimes the wire can feed into the hole in the converter and cause it to bind.

I would say if you got weights this is your vibration. Most engine builders balance engines if combining parts from different motors. But they have no control over the converter used.

have you confirmed, yourself, if there is or isnt weights on the convertor? iam not talking about the little thin ones on the bowl that you cant see anyways when its in the car.

have you confirmed, yourself, if there is or isnt weights on the convertor? iam not talking about the little thin ones on the bowl that you cant see anyways when its in the car.
I had the trans pulled and the converter spun to see if it was out of balance. Mechanic said it was off 40 grams. He added a weight to sync it. Now have vibration only at about 2500 to 3000 rpms but still bugs the crap out of me.

So I bought this 74 Dart. Rattled like crazy on the drive home. I had the engine rebuilt, front end rebuilt, new shocks, New engine mounts and trans mount, alignment, new carb and this STILL vibrates with acceleration!!!! This is driving me nuts! I take it out at about 50-60 mph and then throw it in neutral and NO VIBRATION so it isn't the driveshaft. Has a 318/2 brl carb with the stock auto trans.

The engine rebuilder put a "motor home cam shaft" in it for better perfromance, hope thats not the problem. I can sit in park and accelerate and I get vibration. The motor is tuned and timed perfectly. What is my next step?

Do you guys think it could be the converter of flex plate?

It vibes under load, you better check some angles and stop playing with the tc and pulleys and trans, flex plate and everything it isn't . . . .

Next step is to find someone who knows wtf they're talking about or you'll be changing everything again. . .

It vibes under load, you better check some angles and stop playing with the tc and pulleys and trans, flex plate and everything it isn't . . . .

Next step is to find someone who knows wtf they're talking about or you'll be changing everything again. . .

Gotta be a bad rebuild. I've done everything imaginable.

-
Back