74 duster 360 emblem location?

-

Seth Jones

Reaction score
Looking for measurements in relation to the duster emblems on the front fenders.Hopefully somebody out there has an unmolested 360 duster and a tape measure.
Thanks in advance!

Just put them right about..... there... ya.

Ha.... well there is one that I know of. If I can get to it I will measure it out for you. Hopefully someone chimes in before I can do that though as it might be a while.

good luck.

-RPM

That would be great if you don't mind.Car is at the bodyshop right now getting a fresh coat of Frosty Green Metallic.Probably be done in a month or so.Got some time to spare.

I have a '74 Duster 360 w/ original paint (only 15,000 mi.), the emblems
have never been off the car. These are the measurments from the
passenger fender.

1) 4 7/8" from door edge of fender to the "3".
2) 1 3/4" up from the seam in the mid fender to the "3".
3) 1/2" below the Duster emblem.

Hope this helps - will try to post a pic. if need be.

Glenn

I found a picture, let's see if this works.

74 Duster 006.jpg

Thank You X 100 Glenn !!!!!!!
How about some more pics of the car.It looks awesome!!I think the 360 Duster/Dart Sports are one of the most overlooked mopars and I don't know why.

Thank You X 100 Glenn !!!!!!!
How about some more pics of the car.It looks awesome!!I think the 360 Duster/Dart Sports are one of the most overlooked mopars and I don't know why.

I agree!

So Seth, you about have your car on the road, or at least the body work done. Still going to race it, or has the plan changed?

What's funny is, I didn't even know the duster 360's had a 360 emblem on the fender. Got mine out of a wrecking yard almost 20 years ago and I don't think it had the original fenders on it at the time, or if it did I didn't pay any attention. Cool!

X3e_3CEF4101.jpg

X3e_3CEF4100.jpg

X3e_3CEF4103.jpg

X3e_3CEF4102.jpg

Dion,
My car is currently at the bodyshop and is close to paint.I found two NOS 360 emblems but hey have the mounting pins on the back instead of being held on with tape like the originals.Wanted to make darn sure I had the holes in the right place and wanted to drill them before paint.
I absolutley plan to race the car at the PureStock drags for the Martin and Stanton events.Probably be nezt year though depending on how long it is at the bodyshop.this car will do double duty as my sons first car and our purestocker.I planned on racing my A12 bee,but after seeing a vette roadster do a couple 360's through the lights at Stanton,I decided I couldn't risk the car.On the way home from Stanton my buddies and I brain stormed as to what would be the cheapest mopar we could build.Answer:74 360 duster or dart sport.
Reasons:
1)bodies are fairly plentiful and realtively cheap($600 for mine from CA)
2)cheap 360 block(compared to scarce 340)
3)cheap 587 heads (73 340 uses the same though)
4)cheap 74 air cleaner(I paid $42 on e-bay)
5)inexpensive exhaust manifolds ($137 e-bay)
6)no rallye gauge cluster
7)no shark tooth grill to buy
8)no unique body panels ( as compared to say a 69 340 dart hood)
9)parts in general are in expensive and fairly plentiful for these cars
The ony "tough" part to find was the 6453 TQ and I eventually got two.

I wanted to build something disposable so to speak.If for some reason I have a mishap at the track and peel the left side off the car, its no big deal fix or get another body.If I peel the left side off my A12 bee it would be a whole different story and I would not be happy.

Any current pics of your car?

Here is a copy of an original road test.

Notice the lack of build quality. Check the mirrors.

Driver side is a standard mirror. Pass. side is a rallye mirror.

Picture001-1.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

I'm actually cloning my car after that one.Plain jane.
You don't happen to have the third installment of that car Craft build do you?
14.60@95 ain't bad.I'm hoping to crack the 13's with mine.

Did the one I sold you ever work out, or was it complete junk?

Nothing more current than a year and a half ago. Lack of a garage and a mystery motor knock have slowed things down considerably. It's actually the second time I've owned the car, previously it was my daily driver. Sold it to a buddy (it was his first car), then got it back in trade. Got it back together, but I have been unable to find the source of the knock and then got busy with other projects. Hopefully back to it soon, though.

Unfortunately, the weather has done a number on the primer so it looks pretty ragged now. Much worse than these pictures.

Duster016.jpg

Duster019.jpg

Duster020.jpg

Dion I'm so sorry I didn't recognize your name as the guy I got the TQ from.I did get the secondaries freed up.Its my back up carb and will get rebuilt later.I'm sure it will be fine.
Does your car have the #'s matching engine?Fender tag?
Let me know if you ever want to part with it.Might be interested in a "real" one to go with my clone.

Dion I'm so sorry I didn't recognize your name as the guy I got the TQ from.I did get the secondaries freed up.Its my back up carb and will get rebuilt later.I'm sure it will be fine.

Hey no worries about not remembering, I didn't expect you to remember me after a year and a half or so. Glad to hear you got the secondaries freed up.

Does your car have the #'s matching engine?Fender tag?

Matching number block, fender tag and build sheet. Transmission was missing when I found the car in the yard so that is a replacement.

Let me know if you ever want to part with it.Might be interested in a "real" one to go with my clone.

Regretted getting rid of it the last time, probably wont do it again. But, I will keep you in mind if I do.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your car, and hearing how it runs.

Dion,
My car is currently at the bodyshop and is close to paint.I found two NOS 360 emblems but hey have the mounting pins on the back instead of being held on with tape like the originals.Wanted to make darn sure I had the holes in the right place and wanted to drill them before paint.
I absolutley plan to race the car at the PureStock drags for the Martin and Stanton events.Probably be nezt year though depending on how long it is at the bodyshop.this car will do double duty as my sons first car and our purestocker.I planned on racing my A12 bee,but after seeing a vette roadster do a couple 360's through the lights at Stanton,I decided I couldn't risk the car.On the way home from Stanton my buddies and I brain stormed as to what would be the cheapest mopar we could build.Answer:74 360 duster or dart sport.
Reasons:
1)bodies are fairly plentiful and realtively cheap($600 for mine from CA)
2)cheap 360 block(compared to scarce 340)
3)cheap 587 heads (73 340 uses the same though)
4)cheap 74 air cleaner(I paid $42 on e-bay)
5)inexpensive exhaust manifolds ($137 e-bay)
6)no rallye gauge cluster
7)no shark tooth grill to buy
8)no unique body panels ( as compared to say a 69 340 dart hood)
9)parts in general are in expensive and fairly plentiful for these cars

I wanted to build something disposable so to speak.If for some reason I have a mishap at the track and peel the left side off the car, its no big deal fix or get another body.If I peel the left side off my A12 bee it would be a whole different story and I would not be happy.

Seth- for what it's worth I discovered with my 75 Sport 360 that the 360 emblems as stock had the 3-M self adhesive tape. Mine were missing when I bought the car but I found replacements. The pin emblems wern't used on the 360 Dusters and Darts according to any of the sources I checked with. The 360 emblems you have with pins are the same size and type as the stick on emblems but were used on a different MOPAR product. I'm suggesting that you don't drill your fenders but remove the pins until flush and apply with the adhesive trim tape. With your Duster the 360 is centered under the "Duster" and on the Dart Sports its centered under the two emblems Dart Sport. '75 Sport

Glenn,That car is a fine specimen of a 360 duster.There has got to be a story behind that one!

75 Sport -the emblems I'm getting are actually for the hood of a Fury but are the same dimensions.I have some original 360 badges but they are kinda rough.I would much rather drill the holes and use NOS.

Seth,
That is the only thing I have on the car. I found the mag at a swap meet years (15+) ago.

Glenn,That car is a fine specimen of a 360 duster.There has got to be a story behind that one!

75 Sport -the emblems I'm getting are actually for the hood of a Fury but are the same dimensions.I have some original 360 badges but they are kinda rough.I would much rather drill the holes and use NOS.

Seth, every car has a story to tell, and i love to hear them all.
This one is no different: a three owner car, and i have owned the longest
24 yrs.,(can't believe it, where does time go?) anyways a simple history.
It has always been a weekend toy/bracket racer/ street racer, thats why
the mileage is so low and w/ 4:56 gears how far are you going to go any ways! It has never seen snow and only been rained on a few times, heck
it hardly ever sees sunshine, as i have only put approx. 500 miles on it
since i bought it - most a 1/4 mile at a time:-D

A couple of interesting "options" i took off, the windshield washer bottle
was mounted in the trunk and the washer hose was plumbed from the bottle and screwed to the front of each wheel well to hang in front the rear tires - instant water burnouts when called for. Then there was the
toggle switch under the dash(it now runs the electric fuel pump) that
killed the brake lights, wonder what that was for? HaHa!
The battery was trunk mounted until this year, the track now requires an
outside on/off switch (not going to happen) so back under the hood it went.

Actually, the most fun i have with it is swapping carbs, intakes, heads, camshafts etc., for my own R&D - been thinking about doing a stocker
motor to race in the local stock/superstock series...hmmmm....

Here's another pic. - check out how clean the gas tank still is.

Glenn

74 Duster 038.jpg

What size are the tires and wheels? A-Body 8 3/4?

Beautiful car!

What size are the tires and wheels? A-Body 8 3/4?

Beautiful car!

Hey Dion

1) Yes it is an A-Body 8 3/4.
2) Front rims are 15 x 3 1/2 w/ 165R/75/15 tires.
3) Rear rims are 15 x 8 1/2 w/ 4 1/2" back spacing,
and tires are P275/60/15 M.& H.

Thanks for asking.

Glenn

-
Back