74 Duster 4 banger Street/Strip Build

-
I got my front frame rails made up, still need to cut them to length once I get them in there. I'm working on the rear now, and I'm torn on what I want. On one hand, I was thinking pre-made 4 link. On the other hand, I was thinking of ordering Autoweldchassis www.autoweldchassis.com pre-made 2x3 frame rails for a Duster and then running mono-leaf and Cal-Tracs. Any input fellas?

Does anyone make a premade 4 link specifically for A-Body?

Thanks guys! You can see the front frame rails in this pic. Sorry it's a mess, it was getting late last night and I was getting tired quick!

View attachment 20160131_214417_resized.jpg

I got my front frame rails made up, still need to cut them to length once I get them in there. I'm working on the rear now, and I'm torn on what I want. On one hand, I was thinking pre-made 4 link. On the other hand, I was thinking of ordering Autoweldchassis www.autoweldchassis.com pre-made 2x3 frame rails for a Duster and then running mono-leaf and Cal-Tracs. Any input fellas?

Does anyone make a premade 4 link specifically for A-Body?

Thanks guys! You can see the front frame rails in this pic. Sorry it's a mess, it was getting late last night and I was getting tired quick!
Stock location caltrac mono's! Don't back half the car- would be even more impressive if you did it with a stock chassis!

I really liked the quality of the autoweld rails. I put them in my duster. You can put them closer to the centerline of the car if you want more room for bigger tires. They fit the contour of stock floor pan nicely. They came out perfectly lined up where they meet up to the taillight panel.

Man,

This is going to special build man. Can't wait to see it draggin bumper.

DJ

Thanks DJ! Your build is still my number 1 reference! Love your car.

Stock location caltrac mono's! Don't back half the car- would be even more impressive if you did it with a stock chassis!

Noted! :glasses7:

I really liked the quality of the autoweld rails. I put them in my duster. You can put them closer to the centerline of the car if you want more room for bigger tires. They fit the contour of stock floor pan nicely. They came out perfectly lined up where they meet up to the taillight panel.

Thanks for the feedback. I really enjoyed talking to them a while back. Very nice and informative. Also noted! :glasses7:

Any more input?

You will have the ability to tune for any condition with a 4 link, but if you go with a monoleaf and Caltracs leave room to move the shocks to the front of the axle. There are a few guys running really fast monoleaf cars that picked up 60ft time moving the shocks in front of the axle. I didn't agree with it, but it worked for them. These are sub 9 second 1/4 mile nitrous cars.

OK, so I need to get my tire diameter sorted out. I'm thinking I'm gonna make room for 12.5 wide or so, but run a 10.5 (small tire). What diameter do you guys think I should shoot for?

OK, so I need to get my tire diameter sorted out. I'm thinking I'm gonna make room for 12.5 wide or so, but run a 10.5 (small tire). What diameter do you guys think I should shoot for?
275/60/15 (28"x11.50)

Here is my Demon - uncut 68-70 B body 8 3/4, 275/60, factory 15x7's (3.25"bs or so)

I plan to run a 15x8 or 9" w/ 5.5"bs Weld Prostar, and a Nitto 275/60 drag radial - going to likely have to roll the outer lip, and beat the inner in a little but has tons of room inside currently (over 3" from tire to wheel well)

Right now I'm planning on mini tubbing for a 12.5 wide. I think i'm actually going to run a 28 x 10.5 x 15 on track.

I tried to stuff a 28 x 11.5 that my buddy let me borrow up in there, and it's a no go. My car is going to sit low though.

Attachments

• 20160103_215701.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 365
I'm gonna need to do some rocker panel repair this weekend. That gets me thinking on the quarter panels. I was thinking AMD half quarters.....but I also see VFN fiberglass offers fiberglass half quarters. Fiberglass = $380 a pair, AMD = $600 a pair. Fiberglass = light. My main question is....does fiberglass = dependable and no cracking where it meets the old metal? I mean.....I'm not building a show car, but I don't want a Crack in my paint

I would not try to graft fiberglass patches into the quarters. Patch panels are always tricky keeping the body lines right... I vote metal vs fiberglass.

I'm gonna need to do some rocker panel repair this weekend. That gets me thinking on the quarter panels. I was thinking AMD half quarters.....but I also see VFN fiberglass offers fiberglass half quarters. Fiberglass = $380 a pair, AMD = $600 a pair. Fiberglass = light. My main question is....does fiberglass = dependable and no cracking where it meets the old metal? I mean.....I'm not building a show car, but I don't want a Crack in my paint

Just flange the quarter and finish out everything nicely then Dzus the fiberglass into position. It will make it easier to service and adjust the rear suspension and tires in the pits. I know you strive to make things light.

Where did all my old pics go? Do you now have to download each picture to see it?

More progress. Car is on 4 WHEELS!!! Made mockup struts and mockup coilovers in rear so I can keep the real things shiny in their boxes. Also this helps me line up things without the suspension actually moving.

Pics:

20160704_135813.jpg

20160704_135821.jpg

20160704_154759.jpg

20160704_154805.jpg

20160704_154814.jpg

20160704_154823.jpg

20160704_154836.jpg

20160704_154843.jpg

20160704_202042.jpg

20160704_202724.jpg

Building a new work bench with a TON of storage. Hopefully be done with that soon then back on the Duster!

I've been learning so much on this build, especially how many more clamps, vise-grips, right angle tools, etc I needed. Now I need a place to put all the new tools, so that's the reason for the new box. Pics soon.

-
Back