74 duster 440 swap

-

sbh126

Reaction score
I decided to contibute something to this site instead of always coming with questions to be answered. This is going to be my 318 to 440 swap thread.

Here's the duster in all her beauty.

DSC01103.jpg

Here's the 318. The car was originally a slant 6 but I rebuilt this motor in my high school auto class and put it in. Its ran great for the last 5 years and 15,000 miles but I just wanted something new.

DSC01133.jpg

Out with the old.
DSC01143.jpg

DSC01142.jpg

The empty engine bay. It will definately need some paint before I anything goes back in. Not sure what I was thinking when I rattle canned the whole thing.
DSC01159.jpg

original slant six torsion bars next to the new ones. I forget the diameter but they were slightly bigger than the stock big block ones.
DSC01161.jpg

I had to cut up the k member a little bit to get the schumacker motor mounts to work.
DSC01168.jpg

DSC01169.jpg

here's the k member after all the cutting is complete and getting powdercoated. It turned out great.
DSC01217.jpg

DSC01217.jpg

Here's the long block. 440 with a custom ground cam, kb 237 pistons .040 over, forged crank, resized rods, high volume oil pump, stealth heads. rpm intake, holley 750 carb. I pulled it out of a 77 new yorker. Supposed to be 10.7 to one. I hope it'll run on 93 octane.
DSC01120.jpg

DSC01119.jpg

Here's the k member on the engine with the schumacker torque strap installed. I had to take an inch off of eith side of the torque strap to get it to fit properly.
DSC01223.jpg

DSC01224.jpg

DSC01225.jpg

DSC01230.jpg

DSC01231.jpg

DSC01233.jpg

DSC01221.jpg

I had to grind a little off the underside of the k member. It was rubbing on my oil pan,
DSC01226.jpg

I'll be redoing my brake lines as well. I couldn't find a prop valve anywhere and since mine was working fine I just had it sand blasted to clean it up a bit. Turned out really nice. Good as new
DSC01220.jpg

Thats all for now. Ill be painting the engine bay this weekend if weather permits. I'll post some more when its done.

I did a /6 to 440 in my 74. using stealth heads also. nice lookin car though, is that 20% tint on the sides?

nice build.i'm in the process of puttin a 68 440 in my dart.i also have a 72 duster and i'm gettin 383 for free for it.thats cool your convertin your car into a big block to.its badass to see a big block a-body mopars.

looking good there man .. im putting a big block in my 70 was going to do it with the 72 dart but was told its a little heavy so light a body will be where we go...are the small block and 6 k member the same in the 74??? if so would you be getting rid of the motor mounts...mikepm me if you like im outside of raleigh nc..by the way thats a nice clean car you have do you plan to race it some or street drive it????

looking good there man .. im putting a big block in my 70 was going to do it with the 72 dart but was told its a little heavy so light a body will be where we go...are the small block and 6 k member the same in the 74??? if so would you be getting rid of the motor mounts...mikepm me if you like im outside of raleigh nc

From the research I've done a big block with all aluminum bolt ons and battery in the trunk will weigh less than an iron small block with ac and power steering. The k members are different. but you can buy motor mounts to fit a small block on a slant 6 k.

I did a /6 to 440 in my 74. using stealth heads also. nice lookin car though, is that 20% tint on the sides?

I dont remember what the tint is. It was the darkest they'd let me go. I;m sure it's illegal. Any chance your running a 4 speed? what kind of power are you getting from your stealth heads. People seem to have mixed feelings about them.

Engine bay has paint! I think it looks pretty good for a $20 paint job.
DSC01289.jpg

DSC01290.jpg

DSC01291.jpg

I dropped the engine and trans in yesterday. Running or not, it is now officially a 440 duster.
DSC01296.jpg

DSC01297.jpg

DSC01298.jpg

Here's the k member in place.
DSC01293.jpg

And the few suspension and steering pieces I have back from powder coating installed
DSC01295.jpg

-
Back