74 Duster Clutch Petal Doesn't Come Back Up

-

Phenix

Reaction score
Hey guys first post here. I am almost done with my first ever car rebuild and am having some trouble with my clutch petal not coming back up. It is a mechanical clutch and I have all of the linkage in and springs where they belong. I get it depressed about half way and it comes back but any more than that and it does not. The car won't start unless it is almost to the floor. I am lost here so any help would be great. I wanna drive this thing!!

Did you put a diaghram style clutch plate in? If you did, remove the over-center spring on the clutch pedal (It's that big son of a buck).

I have a 318 with a 3 speed. I don't know if that matters but I forgot to add that in my original post. Probably a dumb question but how do I know if I put a diaphragm style clutch plate in there? I bought the car from a guy who tore it all down and lost interest so it has been like a jigsaw puzzle with no picture so far.

Perfect! I have a diaphragm clutch. You are my favorite person right now! That's what I'm doing after work tomorrow. Thanks for all of the help I will let you know if it helps. Thanks again!

Don't mean to pee in your corn flakes, but it's a lot easier to change a pressure plate than it is to remove the over center spring. Easiest way I've ever heard of doing it is to depress the clutch pedal and hold it down. Then fill the gaps in the spring with washers. If you can get enough of them in there the spring will fall out in the floor. Good luck.

Awesome! Petal works great without the spring on there. I'm super pumped. Other than the near death experience in taking it off it was flawless. Thank you very much for the help and I will be in touch for my next issue.

Awesome! Petal works great without the spring on there. I'm super pumped. Other than the near death experience in taking it off it was flawless. Thank you very much for the help and I will be in touch for my next issue.

Good to hear. Sorry, I forgot to mention that spring is more lethal than an ex-wife with her eye on your checkbook.

Haha no worries. I ducked. Haha. I read that message while sitting next to my wife and I laughed. She asked what was so funny so I read it to her...... She didn't laugh at all.

-
Back