74 Duster getting a 5.7 Hemi (The Double Take Duster)

-

TxSwimDad

Reaction score
Wow, this certainly looks like the right place for this father/daughter project.

Kelsey is 15 and has been by my side for about 2 years learning to turn wrenches. I can't begin to tell you what that time means to me.

She first worked with me on a 75 CJ5/304 Jeep.
IMG_2885.jpg

Once we got it running and on the road, we decided we wanted something more streetable w/ some umph to it. I have friends who are into older Mopars and I also own an 05 Magnum (Hemi equipped).

After some searching we found a 70 Duster and after working on it for a while then we found this 74 in much better condition.
ce78_3-1.jpg

Tagdecoded.jpg

We swapped the nose from the 70 on to the 74 just to get that muscle car look we like vs. the 74. The 74 nose was bartered for some wood work around the house.

I managed to pick up some SRT seats at an incredibly low price (gotta love Ebay auctions that don't end at a decent hour) and they really improved the interior.

SRTSEATS2.jpg

I also coordinated a Mopar parts sale for someone else and benefited myself by getting a brand new sure-grip out of it. This car is going to desperately need that! Through a lot of horse trading & sweat equity, we now have TTI Headers, TTI eng mounts, a TF727, an Edge torque converter, XV manifold, MSD-6 ignition, an accusump, a new repop Go Wing, a 6-pack scoop and 6 Sprint II wheels (2 more than I need, but I'll sell 2 once I figure out which 4 we want to use. Our intention is to keep the car looking pretty 70's era correct but once the hood is raised to see that things are not what they first appeared.

As for motivation, we modified a 5.7 Hemi w/ one of Inertia Motosports big hp cams (~440hp) that should work for a 3200lb car :) Kelsey is really doing well with all this car stuff. She has been attending some of the car events with me getting to know some of the group and hangs out with the ladies that are there. She has had some fun rides along the way, too :)
HEMI-1.jpg

Our next step is to get the car (loosely used term right now) to where I have all the big pieces and tools readily accessible. I am also helping to install a 3G Hemi into a 68 cuda. We will have the 2 cars side by side in hopes of working more efficiently, even though they are quite different. The cuda will have more hp than the Duster and will be a standard trans car. It's nicknamed the 10/30 cuda. Our goal for the cuda is to run a 1/4 mile in the high 10's and get 30 mpg on the highway utilizing the MDS system with the Viper 6 speed. It is set up w/ cage and many of the pieces to withstand the hp safely.

Anyway, we are ready to get to the installation part if we can just get a few of those "round tuits". The guy I am working with is a mechanical engineer that has a lot of experience on new and old Mopars. We are working to do away with as much of the higher costs that are currently part of 3G installations. I'll pass along what we learn from those adventures.

One of the last things we will do is paint the beast! We are currently thinking of a high imact color w/ the black hood, trim and go wing. That is a long ways off so we have plenty of time to change those plans.

Thanks for all the info FABO has already provided.

That is the coolest ever, mainly cause you are building with your daughter. Keep up the good work.

keep up the work and keep the daughter involved. a girl that knows how to fix and build cars is great for the hobby. more and more teenagers are going to the turbo'd little econo box cars so if you teach her about american muscle she can show the guys what a real car is.

The best times i have had with my dad have been while restoring a car. be it welding, painting, or just plain wrenching. she will one day look back on this and smile she got to spend so much time with you just the 2 of you

You're a fortunate man with a daughter that loves him enough to get grease and grime under her finger nails to show it. And, the "quality" time you guys get together is "priceless". Kudos to you and your daughter's build. And, the ones to come in the future. God bless.

What a great weekend. Saturday I helped a neighbor pick up a 68 Fury III conv 440 completely loaded w/ power everything and is in great condition. It is very original and will be sitting in my garage for a while---- but then that's not an Abody. ;)
Soooo, while I had access to a trailer we moved the Duster over to Inertia Motorsports. Now almost everything I need is in one spot. It is sitting next to the cuda that is getting a stroked 6.1. Now if we could just get more time to work on these. Kelsey and I will do some minor work on the Fury in the mean time. We hate not to have something to tinker with close at hand.

That's about it for now.

Nice going Les... I can't wait to see those purdy TTi's on the hemi....wow...Tell Stu I said to get to work as well :bootysha:

Great build. Looks like you and I have a very similar build and restoration. I assume the seats are SRT-4. They are super comfortable and they recline.

Any more updates?

Riddler

Great build. Looks like you and I have a very similar build and restoration. I assume the seats are SRT-4. They are super comfortable and they recline.

Any more updates?

Riddler

You are exactly right. I think they are 2005 SRT4 seats. They are really comfortable if you like conforming seats.

cool build! It is awesome that you got your daughter into cars!!

Thanks. Yep, I consider myself very lucky to have her by my side.

-
Back