74 Duster getting painted

-

02sixxer

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am having my 74 Duster painted the frst week of October. I think I have found the shop who is going to paint it. The guy was really helpfull and sounds as if he will do the best job out of everyone I spoke with. Almost all the body work has been done for quite a while. The car has been sitting for about a year with a coat of Primer and a guide coat. I am pulling the engine this week. He is going to prep the engine bay and remove all fenders, trunk lid, hood, and doors to paint the car.

My question to you paint gurus is How is Shermin Williams Paint? The car is going to be painted Viper GTS Blue Pearl (AKA Viper Blue) Mopar Code: PBE, Sherwin Williams Code: 51537; and the hood is going to be painted Viper Black Mopar code: PX3, Sherwin Williams code: 46951.

I think I am getting a decent deal he originally asked 1800, but when I explained that I only had 1500 currently save he said he would do it with that if he could put it on his websit when done.

So how is the paint? pros of Sherwin Williams and Cons of Sherwin Williams.

I've had a little bit of experience with SW paint. I would politely as if he has been to SW paint school. If he has, I'm sure he knows the ins and outs of the paint he will be using. Years of experience would be a question I would also ask although that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, more just general knowledge about the tech that was gonna paint my car. I've had kids with little experience that paint quite well.

In my opinion 1500 is a very reasonable price to get you car painted. My 2 cents.

I did not think about asking if he had been to SW school, but he has been painting for over 20 years, he is the owner of the shop, and has painted for NASCAR. He seems to bw reputable. He said he liike Sherwin Williams and swears by Sherwin Williams.

That would be enough for me. I'm sure he knows what he's doing and again, that's very reasonably priced.

I thought so too. and 'cause thats all I have saved it fits in the budget. He garuntees it from any paint defect for life and that I ll be happy with it. He said he does 90% of all his jobs with SW and the other 10% is either PPG or Dupont.

that is dirt cheap. its easy to spend 1000 in paint alone. the labor to paint isnt crazy but any body work is. i bet it comes out to about 8-10$ per hour all said and done.

that is dirt cheap. its easy to spend 1000 in paint alone. the labor to paint isnt crazy but any body work is. i bet it comes out to about 8-10$ per hour all said and done.

Yeah, all true. Most people don't realize how much prep work there is to painting a car. It's about 75% prep and 25% fun part - painting it....lol

Yes sir,its all about the quality of the prep work .Paint will not hide bad prepping,it only magnifies it.Even a MAACO job will come out looking killer if you do quality prep.SW paint is pretty good.Ive used it a few times.1500 is a great deal to paint your car.Cant wait to see it :cheers:

-
Back