74 Duster Headliner Removal?

-

Drake

Banned
Reaction score
My 74 has, from what I have seen it being called, the "hard-liner." It isn't the cloth headliner, but the ABS plastic headliner. I have searched all over the place and I cannot find anything concerning the removal of one. I know how to replace the cloth headliners, and was wondering if the same methods can be used for the plastic ones before I tear the one I have up. My Duster is gold and I am converting it to black, so replacing the liner would be easier than painting it.

Thanks for any info.
-- Drake

Its held up by the front and rear window gaskets and the side metal trim above the windows and the dome light as well as the sail panels.Work your way around and remove everything else then gently pry the first window gasket front or back and it will slip out of the other one. Now, it is NOT made out of ABS plastic if it is original, it is made out of CARDBOARD. So be gentle.
I tried to restore mine to no avail, and will have to order a new ABS one.
It just fell apart in my hands.
Andrew

I changed the liner in my 75 Duster I got the new one from Stock Interiors, It was a great fit.

i got a set of donor headliner bows from a 70 and replaced mine with a fabric unit...

Alright, I'll try removing it this friday. It is original, so Iguess it is cardboard. I'll take my time with it and see what I can do.

Thanks for all of the info.

There is also insulation above the headliner. By this time it has turned to a brown powder. Wear some type of mask when you bring that sucker down!
C

-
Back