74 duster ignition problem

-

Dusty74

Reaction score
The problem I have with my car is that I cannot start the car from the inside I always have to open the hood and put a screwdriver on the starter solenoid...I have tried it with the seatbelts interlocked and tried it in park and neutral...When I turn the key I can hear a little click coming from the engine bay...I need help!

Thank you very much I appreciate your help! But where exactly is the lockout switch?

OK this where you stick the screwdriver and labeled

IMG00080.jpg

Or... you could just try pushing in the little red button.
My son has been driving his '74 Dart Sport for about three years, and has had to push in the button only about two times. We swapped out his bench seat for one that has the high backs and folding armrest. We even removed the segment of wiring harness underneath the seat.

Jerry

Ok I did the jumper wires to the leads and the same thing happened...What little red button? Is that the long thing coming from the lockout switch?

Could it be my neutral safety switch? I had taken it off awhile ago and it was so greasy with oil so that might have messed it up?...

I have further investigated and I have found that the neutral safety switch leads to no where...It goes from the neutral safety switch to a plug in...where would this plug in go?

Neutral safety switch for sure. I do not know where it's routed, I would have to look, but I guarantee that is the problem.

Could anyone take a picture of it? I have looked all over and failed and even looked next to the firewall and still nothin

Yours is sooo much easier to see everything with...Everything's in the way on mine...Does it plug into that area with all those plug ins?

thats back when i had my slant 6...but its the same deal as an 8. its the connector thats closest to you in the picture, infront of the bulkhead connector.

Same problem here and yes it is a p.i.t.a. I have replaced the starter solenoid and it solved the problem temporarily. Now Im back to opening the hood and using a screwdriver. WTF?

I had a similar problem to what you guys are explaining but my solution was the ignition wire under the steering column had melted the plastic connector and had lost connection. so i just by passed it... i took a pic

DSCF0011.jpg

-
Back