74 duster ignition problem

-
Hmm I see well I noticed that those were not really on there very good and seem to come out of the plastic connector fairly easily...But my neutral safety switch leads to no where...and I have no idea where it goes...would there be a way to rewire that part?

Well it's not the stocksolenoid...it has four screws on top two large ones and two smaller ones

yea. i changed from a column shift to a floor shift and now i have to overide the solenoid like that guy. idk what to do for sure.

Alright, here is what I think you are looking for. This is what I found in my son's '74 Duster. The neutral start safety switch has three wires coming from it - the center terminal is for the ignition safety and the two outer ones are for the backup lights. The switch grounds to the transmission housing through its threads.

The three wires connect to a short (12"-14") harness that you see in the first photo. Don't pay any attention to my wire colors, because the safety switch came from a 80s Dodge van. The center wire (brown w/ yellow tracer) splits at a solder connection in the harness where one of them goes to the starter relay on the inner fender.

The three wires continue on to the left bulkhead connector (closest to the steering column), alongside the wires coming from the windshield wiper motor. Hopefully, you can see them in the second photo.

The third photo show how the wire splits and branches off to the starter relay. The fourth photo shows where it connects to the relay.

I hope this answers your questions,
Jerry

Neutral Switch 01.JPG

Neutral Switch 02.JPG

Neutral Switch 04.JPG

Neutral Switch 03.JPG

Had the same problem on my /6 Duster. Used the jumper wire technique but the car could start in gear. For safety issues I just changed the neutral switch and problem solved !

Ok so my car doesn't have the connecter like yours in the first picture just the neutral safety switch and in the second one the small lengthed plug next to the steering column goes all the way to the other side of the engine bay and connects to a plug going to the electronic ignition I think that's what it is it's a little black box with a chrysler emblem on it...so i'm thinking that's the problem but not sure how to fix it

Do you have the three-wire harness segment with a round connector that clips onto the neutral safety switch? If not, you need to get one from somebody. If you do, you're saying it is not connected to anything???

And which side of the engine bay (to be clear always refer to left/right or driver/passenger side) is the black box? Does it have a small triangular-shaped connector with a couple of wires (voltage regulator)? Or does it have a larger connector with a screw in its center with maybe five wires (electronic ignition control, ECU)?

Jerry

Yea it is not connected to anything at all just from the neutral safety switch to nothing...I could take a picture of what everything's connected to and my solenoid setup since it is not a stock solenoid

That might help. I just edited my previous post. Take another look at my additional questions.

ok it is on the passenger firewall and it is a little black box and it has three wires coming from it and the connecter is a male and it looks just like the connectors in your picture and it is connected to the connecter that has the brown with yellow tracer that goes to the relay

oooo I guess it's not an electronic ignition...I have the silver one hold on i'll get a pic of what it looks like and also that is on my drivers side

The silver part on the right is the voltage regulator. It should be mounted on the passenger side inner fender. The ECU (electronic control unit) should be on the driver side inner fender.

For the life of me, I can't figure out what "black box" you are finding on the firewall. A picture is worth a thousand words, they say. I'll wait to see what you come up with.

Jerry

Yea those are on the sides that you say and i'm looking for the pic I found a few weeks ago of the part

While you are looking, describe its shape, approximate size, and location on the firewall.

Ok it's about 2 inches long and two inches wide it is black has a chrysler emblem on the front of it...it is mounted at the top of the firewall on the passenger side it has three wires coming from the top right side

I don't know if they came in black (mine is brownish), but if I didn't know better, I would say you are talking about the EGR timer. Is the box metal, or does it look like it is molded plastic? And you are sure it is black???

It's molded plastic I think?...Well it could have been brown because mine is black and the wires coming from it are black then go to normal color

It really sounds like the EGR timer. Try to get pictures posted of everything we have talked about and it will tell the tale. I'll check in tomorrow.

Jerry

Ok i'll take pictures tomorrow because I need to charge my camera and hopefully we can find out what's wrong with the ol duster!...Thanks for your help by the way

Yep, that's what I suspected. The "black box" is your EGR timer. I'll have to take a look at my wiring diagram this evening and see if I can give you some help. I'll be back.....

Jerry

By the way, what's up with all the black on your wires? Was there a fire?

-
Back