74 Duster interior help

-

Shnarz

Reaction score
I got a 74 Duster for my 16th birthday, 18 now. I've put most my time and money into restoring this thing with my father. I have looked every where, I mean every where, and I can not figure out how to remove the back sail panels. I don't want to force them out because I can't find replacements and really need to paint them. Any help on how I could uninstall them would be great. First thread by the way, don't know If I'm doing it right..

I got a 74 Duster for my 16th birthday, 18 now. I've put most my time and money into restoring this thing with my father. I have looked every where, I mean every where, and I can not figure out how to remove the back sail panels. I don't want to force them out because I can't find replacements and really need to paint them. Any help on how I could uninstall them would be great. First thread by the way, don't know If I'm doing it right..

Excuse my ignorance, but what are "Sail Panels" (have pictures)?

I have the same car by the way. I'm starting to restore it to driving condition. I got it for my son and I. He is turning 16 in April.

I have looked every where, I mean every where, and I can not figure out how to remove the back sail panels.

We have a '75. they are held in with screws....and welcome to this site !

Grassy

We have a '75. they are held in with screws....and welcome to this site !

Grassy

I saw it and it looks nice. I took all the screws out and it seems to be stuck on the panel that sits right under it. I don't want to force it out in fear I might break it. Could it be clipped on? If so, do you or anyone know where the clips are lol

No clips to my knowledge, but they will be very brittle and prone to break. Good luck getting them out.
C

There is a screw behind the side panel (door panel) that you have to get out and then pull the sail panel upwards if i remember correctly.

Just from the back seat pic it looks like a cool car... Any other pics???? And welcome from East Texas...

No clips to my knowledge, but they will be very brittle and prone to break. Good luck getting them out.
C

I'm scared to force these out and break them because I honestly don't know if I will ever find another set

this may seem obvious but did you pull the lower panels and the seats out. there are screws in the bottom of the panel.

I named the car Dusty Shackleford as a play off from Dale Gribbles alias from King of the Hill, Rusty Shackleford haha

Here is the dashboard after we painted it, installed new dashpad, and new defroster vents http://imgur.com/ut7ltch

this may seem obvious but did you pull the lower panels and the seats out. there are screws in the bottom of the panel.

I didn't try to take out the lower panels yet, I'll do it tomorrow. I honestly didn't think of that

EDIT: I took out the lower panel, confused at first with the clips. Bent one out of place until I realized a screw driver would pop em right out, but yep there was a screw behind it and the sail panel came out no problem. Sweet man, thank you

If you take the piece of trim off below it...ours came out and went back in quite nicely...I wish all the project went that way ! :)

I think my daughter and I had most of the interior out in under 10 minutes...not including the roof liner.

I this case, you should not need to force anything..

Grassy

Yours is the same colour as ours as well... faun..

-
Back