74 Duster intermediate brake cable?

-

Funnyhehe

Reaction score
I have a 74 Duster and need the parking brake cable that goes from the firewall to the rear cables but the only problem is I am unsure if I need this intermediate cable or not since when I bought the car it was completly cut off..

Any way of telling or does it matter at all?

My Duster uses one cable to go from the e brake handle inside the car, through the firewall and it ends just beyond a brace below the front seat. The intermediate cable is actually a long loop that goes from one rear cable, up to the tranny and back to the other rear cable. At the tranny it connects with the front cable and a long bolt (threaded rod) on the passenger side.
I can check my pics if it will help.
C

hmm yea that would help to see some pictures.. mine is cut at that brace but it is on the drivers side which makes sence since thats where the emergency brake is located.. but this car has been a big jigsaw everything has been cut and is a big guessing game lol If you or someone could get some pictures of their undercarriage to see where some things are routed that would help soo much.. Thanks

The early Dusters used a different setup. My '71 goes straight back from the firewall along the driver side framerail. The passenger side cable comes over to the driver side to meet the rear cable bracket that connects the two. I added that info if you were not sure if all Dusters use the same cable. Try rockauto.com. They actually show pictures.

Here are a couple pics for you.
First shot shows how the cable attaches to the eb handle.
Second shot shows how this front cable attaches to the intermediate cable, in that area under the drivers seat.
Sorry, I do not have one showing the long threaded J hook. Maybe someone else can post a pic up here for you. If not, I may get mine installed in the next month or so.
If you need more pics of this set up let me know. I do have my front cable attached to the firewall and run through the floor brace underneath the car.
C

edit, it is not letting me load pics tonight. Will try again tomorrow.

yea that would be awsome if you could get me pics so I can see how it all goes

Also if I buy a kit can I just buy a kit that is straight to the back and has no intermediate cable? or does it really matter?

Here are a few pics. I may need to make more that one post to get them all in. First pics are of the front cable, from inside the car, routing it thru the firewall, across the front framerail, thru a floors brace to where it connects with the intermediate cable.

This is a '72 Duster.
C

Attachments

• DCP_3458.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 274
  • DCP_3464.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 226
  • DCP_3463.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 224
  • DCP_3462.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 219
  • DCP_3461.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 247
  • DCP_3460.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 236
  • DCP_3459.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 241
Pics of the intermediate cable.
First shot is looking at the tensioner located to the right of the transmission crossmember under the passenger floor, looking forward.
Second shot is the same tensioner, looking rearward.
Third shot is attaching the intermediate cable to the rear cable.
HTH
C

Attachments

• DCP_3465.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 231
  • DCP_3466.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 227
  • DCP_3467.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 227
-
Back