'74 Duster Q-panel patch panels

-

64physhy

Reaction score
Is there any place that has just the lower rear quarter patch pieces? All I can seem to find is entire quarter panels. Trying to get rid of some rust in the right lower rear.

I actually just did lower rear quarters....I made my ownt though. cut,bent,hammered,tacked,welden...until it looked right. now I have to toss some body filler on it to smooth it off and its done......thats the cheapest way of doing it....as for easier,new lower panels would be the way to go,but replacment panels are not cheap,good luck

It's such a narrow part that needs cut out, I was going to just make my own patch panels. Just thought if I can find some, I'll save some time and work, if not, or if they are too spendy, I'll go with making my own.

I believe year one sells them,ebay sells them and I think maybe jegs and summit racing aswell. but I believe the cheapest I can remember seeing them for was $180.00 per lower quarter panel patch! thats pushing upwards of $400.00 all said and done....so I decided to cut up a peice of metal I already had and do it that way. I also only had a little part that was bad on my lower rear quarter.....passenger side....the bottom of the quarter was fine where most of the rolled contour was but about and inch up from the bottom there was thin spots and pin holes about 3 inchs tall and the length of most the lower quarter. so I measured it all up and cut about a half inch beyond all the bad spots so I had about a 4inX15in section that I had to cut out....so I pulled out the grinder with a thin cut off wheel.ground along my markings and the old thin section fell on out of there. I then seen some minor surface rust and pin holes on the inner quarter behind the section I cut out....so I cut up a little square patch and welded it in where that little bad spot was....I then primed the inside of the inner quarter while I had easy acces to it ( hole I cut) I then cut up a patch panel about 5inX16in so I could have a little over lap from the diameter of the hole I cut. I then opened the trunk and slid my new patch down in side the quarter panel gap inside the trunk well and lined my patch up. and then I stuffed screw drivers down behind my patch to push the patch flush to the inside of the quart panel (lol screw drivers had to do the trick,no welding magnets) and from there I ran my tack welds and got her all welded up,now just gotta put some filler in to smooth her off. Not sure if you would do it the same or not but if so,then maybe one or two of the steps I mentioned is something that could help you accomplish what needs done on yours!

I called some of the places mentioned in the magazines and found out that the cheat patch panels come to you FLAT. Most of their adds will say "hand form". that will tell you its a flat piece of metal with small tabs where it needs to be bent. So before you just buy on line, call the vendor and ask. Just my 02

-
Back