74 Duster Rear view mirror vibration

-

Steve Agrella

Reaction score
I want to change out my rear view mirror it vibrates like hell cant see anything out of it underway.
Anyone have a fix or used a modern mirror system, if so please share what you did to fix yours

If you take the mirror off the car you’ll see a little plate with three screws that hold the ball on that end of the mirror stem. If you tighten those screws it should make the mirror vibrate less and the mirror hold its position better. If you find the screws are already tight, you can remove the little plate and bend it so holds the stem better. Alternatively, if it’s worn you can slide a piece of paper in there to take up the space that’s worn so the plate will grab the stem better.

If it’s just the glass vibrating in the mirror frame you may need a new mirror. The day/night mirrors can have the switching mechanism wear so the glass vibrates in the frame. If you take the mirror apart you may be able to fix that, but they’re not really meant to come apart so it’s kinda fiddly to do that without breaking something.

If you take the mirror off the car you’ll see a little plate with three screws that hold the ball on that end of the mirror stem. If you tighten those screws it should make the mirror vibrate less and the mirror hold its position better. If you find the screws are already tight, you can remove the little plate and bend it so holds the stem better. Alternatively, if it’s worn you can slide a piece of paper in there to take up the space that’s worn so the plate will grab the stem better.

If it’s just the glass vibrating in the mirror frame you may need a new mirror. The day/night mirrors can have the switching mechanism wear so the glass vibrates in the frame. If you take the mirror apart you may be able to fix that, but they’re not really meant to come apart so it’s kinda fiddly to do that without breaking something.
Thanks for the reply, I’ll try that

Didn’t work, I might have an aftermarket mirror.
It is a day night mirror however
the mirror is tight, I think it’s because the entire car vibrates from the engine harmonics, might be screwed works great though if I hold onto it .... lol

Might go to the junk yard and pick up a modern mirror with a stubby mount and try that

I've got a late 70s F body mopar wagon rearview mirror glued to the windshield of my 72 Demon.
It's much wider than stock and taller too.
I can see so much better than the tiny stock mirror allowed.
The entire back glass is visible.

-
Back