74 Duster Resto-Mod Where to begin?

-

DusterDaddy

sledgehammer mechanic
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My Son and I have had this car for a few years now.
It's a 74 Duster that was a factory 318/904/8-1/4 rear car with disc brakes.
There is moderate body rust, the dash was removed by the previous owner.
When we bought the car it had the factory 318 in the car less the intake, carb and cam. The 904 was also in the car.
I had a Mopar enthusiast take out the 318 with the intention of having the engine bay painted and then I was going to drop in a 84 360 from a dodge van.
As it turned out the motor had rust in 2 cylinders and in our expert's opinion it was beyond honing to make it usable and I was not into sending it to the machine shop.

So at this point w have a roller. We just want a car to take to cruise nights.

Where is the best place to start? My Mopar Guy thinks its a junk yard candidate.

I think it's a good car and I am determined to make this car what I want it to be.

Where do I start?

Attachments

• misty on trailer.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 175
looks like a good project. if you and your son want to work on it then I would say its worth it. I would say you should just start buy taking it all apart and media blast it to see what you have to work it. its always best to start with nice clean metal.

I'd go with a Late 80s/early 90's LA 360 Roller block. You'll be way ahead of the game with that roller cam. A roller cam with bring you into the power curve sooner and keep you there longer than a flat tappet cam. Also, Torque is king on the street so the 360 (torque makers!) is the engine I'd use. You can find the Roller blocks in Full size trucks and Vans.

-
Back