74 Duster Tail Panel

-

DirtyDunko

Local Nerd
Reaction score
I'm about to get started on some much needed body work and ran into a bit of a problem. I'm hoping someone here can clear it up for me. Looking to replace the tail panel on my 74 Duster and can only find this one for a 73. I feel like it should fit but don't know for certain. I know how much you all love pics so...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 254
  • DSC00638.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 208
  • 3.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 214
mine was so eaten through on my '74 that parts were just gone... the upper left corner was missing around the tail light lol.

i ended up getting a '70-'71 tail panel from AMD it's on the car now. with that tail panel you also need the left and right mount for the housings.
i got two sets of the housings (one from ebay, one from here) and between the 4 lenses that came with, i had 2 in really good shape (needed only minor repairs in the plastic.)

the '74 tail panels are out of production. at the AMD dealer booth at carlisle there was 1 there but they wouldnt let me buy it, since they had promised it to someone ahead of the show.

so you can switch to '70-'71, or recreate yours, or get a '74 from one of the texas/new mexico /arizona salvage places

(note: the '70-'71 setup has an aluminum housing with a red lens that sets into it. the housing assembly then bolts to the tail panel. a frame part on the left and right is in place for the housing to bolt to. not sure on '72,73. the '74 was just a lens assembly that bolts to the tail panel.)

i'd check with AMD before ordering that '73 panel from summit. when i called AMD they only had the '70-'71 available.

Thanks for the replies. I would really like to stick with the 74 tail lights. After having this car for so long they really are part of it for me. I sent AMD an email and we will see what they say but I feel like I emailed them several months ago and never got a response.

So the question remains, are the tail panels from a 73 and 74 Duster the same?

'73, 74 and '76 are all the same and will interchange. '75 has extra holes for the full width, 3 piece taillight bezels. But it can be made to work. Fill in the extra holes and I believe the end taillight bezels will fit or need a little massaging of the holes.

As a last resort, a Dart Sport panel can be made to work. I had my paint & body guy do the opposite - make a Duster tailpanel accept Dart Sport bezels/taillights.

-
Back