74 Duster vs 70 Dart?

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Most all know I've been a Mopar guy decades and etc. AND I value good FABO opinions. So here is the question.

I have had a bunch of 70-2 Dusters, and a few 73-6 Dusters. A 75 I admit I am getting toward the end of my car road I still enjoy the builds, wife knows I can bring them back from the dead, so why would I want to buy a done car!?? (I can tell you why and she would say "REALLY!">). Point is I will continue to work on them till I die or just can't anymore. I just always try to be where I can get my $ backout because they always find new homes sooner or later.

I am lookng at 2 projects, a 74 318 Duster fold down back seat, usual rust came out of Ar. into Tx. Pretty complete, decent straight. A repaint many years ago, sun burnt . Motor but Non runner. Typically rough project!

The other car I have not seen in person, but it was brought down here 5 years ago by a Il. Yank., it is 3 hours away thru friggin Houston. It has been painted years ago, one qtr will have to be replaced, ($$$$) beat to heck and bondo. Seller says was runnng 2 years ago, not now. Pic of bottom shows solid undercoat so more likely was done 15+ years ago or so when its was body work probably was done. Looks better than the Duster both will have to be SANDED clean. Missing the oem front seat. Both are lets say $2500 projects paying the sellers a respectable $. More $ to do the Dart.

My question is basically is the beaker a good choice, the 70 Dart if feel is always worth more in the end. Is the fold downback seat these days worth any more? Are "beakers" geting any more lbve these days!? I don't hate them! But they are 318 cars nothing special. I can do them with 318 or even have a 383. All engines will really need builds I bet. Yea I still do all my own work that I can be capable of, inc. body/paint.

No I don't have pics I can get on here. Not smart enough to do the "lets vote on Duster or Dart thing!!!!! Mods?????? Not that smart!

What say yea?

If you are doing this to make money, the Dart is your best bet. If you are doing it to keep and drive, do the Duster.

I'd say build the one that will bring you the most joy doing. If you feel and from your post I think your leaning towards the Dart that you'll have more fun and enjoy wrenching on it then I would go that route. If it is truly is a toss up and you don't care about the resale value, how much time and effort your going to put into it, or who else likes it, then I'd go with the one that would be an easier (more enjoyable, less money) build for you. I love both of those cars and feel they don't get enough love in the hobby and I'm a sucker for a fold down back seat. I will say out here in Southern California you will see, very few but more Darts than Dusters at most shows. The 74's don't get much love because of the big bumpers and think that the masses in the hobby always prefer the smaller bumper cars.

With all that said, I'd build the 74! But I like being the odd car or the not the 1 of 100 at the car show car guy. And they are the cars that draw most of my attention at the shows.

Good luck!

My vote is for the 70 Dart, but I am partial to them. I agree with you that the Dart will likely be more valuable than the Duster when done.

If you are doing this to make money, the Dart is your best bet. If you are doing it to keep and drive, do the Duster.
Heck, in 4-5 decades the only Mopars I EVER made a dime on really were buying a project and flipping it if a profit was there! Money wise.

I enjoy both models. Beakers don't bother me but when I sell I never intend to lose anything. Yes I agree the bigger bumper is a general turnoff, and the rubber cushions can be removed for a better look. Not sure If the beaker will keep gaining in favor or not. Around here in 3-4 states around, the 70-2 Duster projects are slim and poor eamples. I have seen early As and all A bodies in general, move way higher up the $ and food chain in the last few years/decades. It wasn't that long ago you could note even give away an early Barracuda. I just never want my cars to be worth less than the $ I have put in or the wife to sell at a lose after I kick the bucket!!

I still just measure my fun by smles per mile and fun per $ spent. But I admit I am woreout and need to build my last car.....or 2 or 3 or 4 or ..............? :thumbsup:

:BangHead:

Faced almost the exact same dilema last year. Guy had a '72 Scamp (half a '70 Dart) for sale. Went to check it out and a '74 Duster was blocking it in. Chose the Scamp because we had alot of parts, but four days later went back and bought Duster. Dilema solved !

IMG_20211114_182235843.jpg

IMG_20211116_133342794_HDR.jpg

^^^^ And remember what GOOD wives all say: A man (or woman) can never own too many old Mopars!!!!!

I will probably go with the 74 Duster. Since the 70 Dart needs a qtr and a real front seat, and not one out of a HUGO, and it came from FRIGGIN Illinois, the rust belt capital of America, and the seller is stuck on his price, etc.

I can drive all the way to Ok., Ar., La. Ms. and buy a 73-6 Duster $1000 or more maybe, cheaper, with NO title, missing lots of stuff and spend $500 for a Tx. bonded title and another $400 in travel $ SOoooooooo....... I guess it will be the Duster. BUTttttt next week, the guy with the 70 Dart will say, when are you coming down to buy my Dart! NOoooooooo.

Might have to change the bumpers to 70?????? and paint them body color!!!!!!! :poke:

:thumbsup: :confederateflag: :confederateflag: :confederateflag: :confederateflag:

The Dart will likely be worth more once fixed, but it may end up costing more to fix and not just based on the quarter or the rust. Some things to consider...

If the '74 Duster was originally a 318 car, it will also be a BBP, disk brake car (at least originally). The BBP brake and large ball joint suspension parts for the most part are cheaper to rebuild/replace than the SBP brake and small ball joint suspension you will find on the Dart.

The '73+ model interior pieces, primarily all the plastic- door tops, sail panels, fold down seat panels, etc - are not reproduced and are usually cracked. The sail panels especially are difficult, because of their large size they don't ship well even if you can find a set. So if the interior of the Duster is good, that's good. If it's all busted up, it could be difficult to find the plastic pieces in good shape.

Not sure what engine the Dart had, but it might have an 8 3/4. The Duster would be a 7.25 or possibly an 8.25 rear, depends on how it was set up. If it's an auto car it's most likely a 7.25", but it will be BBP because of the front disks that would have come with the V8.

You probably already know this, but if the Dart has a ton of bondo in one place, it's likely to have it other places too. Sounds like both were repainted though so who knows.

The '73+ cars do seem to be gaining value, I think less people care about the redesign because the value of A bodies has improved in general, so folks are getting priced out of the more popular models. And yeah, mechanically the later cars are a better starting point. Not sure what your plans are, but the BBP brakes make a lot things easier when it comes to reproduction parts, wheel options, brake options, etc.

I'd say the Dart, they never stuck a hemi or 440 in a stink'n Duster. :poke::D

from a purely financial profit stand point the dart is the choice. it has a bigger audience and will bring more money. the duster would probably be the easier and cheaper build, though.

paint and body are always the biggest killer followed by interior. i always say try and start with the most complete and cleanest example you can find. i'd choose whichever has the better of the those.

The Dart will likely be worth more once fixed, but it may end up costing more to fix and not just based on the quarter or the rust. Some things to consider...

If the '74 Duster was originally a 318 car, it will also be a BBP, disk brake car (at least originally). The BBP brake and large ball joint suspension parts for the most part are cheaper to rebuild/replace than the SBP brake and small ball joint suspension you will find on the Dart.

The '73+ model interior pieces, primarily all the plastic- door tops, sail panels, fold down seat panels, etc - are not reproduced and are usually cracked. The sail panels especially are difficult, because of their large size they don't ship well even if you can find a set. So if the interior of the Duster is good, that's good. If it's all busted up, it could be difficult to find the plastic pieces in good shape.

Not sure what engine the Dart had, but it might have an 8 3/4. The Duster would be a 7.25 or possibly an 8.25 rear, depends on how it was set up. If it's an auto car it's most likely a 7.25", but it will be BBP because of the front disks that would have come with the V8.

You probably already know this, but if the Dart has a ton of bondo in one place, it's likely to have it other places too. Sounds like both were repainted though so who knows.

The '73+ cars do seem to be gaining value, I think less people care about the redesign because the value of A bodies has improved in general, so folks are getting priced out of the more popular models. And yeah, mechanically the later cars are a better starting point. Not sure what your plans are, but the BBP brakes make a lot things easier when it comes to reproduction parts, wheel options, brake options, etc.
All true. I miss the Dusters and Dart Sports I have had, sold the last one 5 years ago, needed the cash.
If my intentions were to make a profit, I would spend those couple thousands on something else!!!!
My Doc said to keep moving, don't stop or I might never start up again!!

Last Beaker I had about 10 years ago was needing the sorry plastic inside A pillow trim. Heck I drove 3 hours to get a nice set from friend for $100 and that was back in poor *** Mo.! I don't care for the headliner deal in these, BUT I have learned to clean the metal and prime it and undercoat (body schultz) and be happy!

I figure it will stay a 318 and I will sell off my 383.

I asked for the cell to actually talk and neither bothered to do so, so I decided to NOT make the trip to see anything and screw buying either.

Most all know I've been a Mopar guy decades and etc. AND I value good FABO opinions. So here is the question.

I have had a bunch of 70-2 Dusters, and a few 73-6 Dusters. A 75 I admit I am getting toward the end of my car road I still enjoy the builds, wife knows I can bring them back from the dead, so why would I want to buy a done car!?? (I can tell you why and she would say "REALLY!">). Point is I will continue to work on them till I die or just can't anymore. I just always try to be where I can get my $ backout because they always find new homes sooner or later.

I am lookng at 2 projects, a 74 318 Duster fold down back seat, usual rust came out of Ar. into Tx. Pretty complete, decent straight. A repaint many years ago, sun burnt . Motor but Non runner. Typically rough project!

The other car I have not seen in person, but it was brought down here 5 years ago by a Il. Yank., it is 3 hours away thru friggin Houston. It has been painted years ago, one qtr will have to be replaced, ($$$$) beat to heck and bondo. Seller says was runnng 2 years ago, not now. Pic of bottom shows solid undercoat so more likely was done 15+ years ago or so when its was body work probably was done. Looks better than the Duster both will have to be SANDED clean. Missing the oem front seat. Both are lets say $2500 projects paying the sellers a respectable $. More $ to do the Dart.

My question is basically is the beaker a good choice, the 70 Dart if feel is always worth more in the end. Is the fold downback seat these days worth any more? Are "beakers" geting any more lbve these days!? I don't hate them! But they are 318 cars nothing special. I can do them with 318 or even have a 383. All engines will really need builds I bet. Yea I still do all my own work that I can be capable of, inc. body/paint.

No I don't have pics I can get on here. Not smart enough to do the "lets vote on Duster or Dart thing!!!!! Mods?????? Not that smart!

What say yea?
70 Dart, but I'm biased

IMG_20220828_063724746_HDR.jpg

0724221012_HDR.jpg

0123221155d.jpg

0123221222_HDR.jpg

0213221254_HDR.jpg

-
Back