74 Duster wheel and rim sizes.

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Hi guys,I want to get the American Racing Outlaws 1 for the Duster,i am thinking 15x7 front and back,or 15x8 will it work for me,also what tire size can i stuff out back going with 60 series and have no rubbing issue,and what can i use up front.Its been like 10 years since i had the big bolt pattern.Ihave not gotten the Duster yet but I trust your thoughts.:D

1972 duster

Fronts
205/70/15 on a 15x4 with 1.75 BS

Rears
275/60/15 on a 15x8 with 4" of BS

Will have the car and rearend going together in a few weeks

that's a tough question Don.It runs from the "jacked up" look to "stock" granny look to "lo rider".Only you know how you'll like it.I always found the problem is that you buy and install your wheels and tires before you get to see it...and your springs have a big effect too!
..check out that post in the "wheel tire" section for wheel and tire sizes.
..i went "stock" granny look on my dart
..my grandson says "Papa,you an old posson"

I have 225/70R14 front and 275/60R15 on 14x7 and 15x7, backspace 4" and 4.25" respectively. They are close. Next time I will do 215s (just for looks) on front but I do like the 275's even though they show very light rubbing marks. I have 3/8" clearance to the springs in stock location. They are ESPO +1".

Those tires are too big for sure-225 front is too big and so is 275 out back

Those tires are too big for sure-225 front is too big and so is 275 out back

Nope. Not at all.

I ran 225/60/15's on my Duster on 15x7's with 4.25" backspace, no problems at all. I had to max out the lower fender to bumper braces, but that was it. Tires were as close to the fenders as they could be, but nothing rubbed and the car sat fairly low at the time.

275/60/15's will fit just fine in the back too with the right backspace, even on a lowered car (although a rear sway bar would help to keep body roll down). 15x8's would be fine, so would 15x7's. Backspace will depend on what rear axle you run and whether the axles are BBP or SBP, the 8 3/4's are wider than the 7 1/4's even with BBP axles. On an A-body 8 3/4 with BBP axles and stock spring locations you usually want 4.75" to 5" of backspace on a 15x8 for 275's on a Duster.

You can fit a great deal more tire than that on a Duster too, but not with 15" rims because of the backspace/clearance limitations. I have 18x9's with 275/35/18's up front and 295/35/18's out back on 18x10" rims on my Duster/Demon tribute, but I have a 1/2" spring offset out back and I trimmed the quarter lip back a little. But my car sits pretty low now.

With 225/60/15's on 15x7's with 4.25" backspace all the way around...
IMG_3619.jpg

Now with the 275/35/18's and 295/35/18's...
IMG_2484a_zpscao5szar.jpg

IMG_2251_zpslw7ccgzu.jpg

Hi guys,I want to get the American Racing Outlaws 1 for the Duster,i am thinking 15x7 front and back,or 15x8 will it work for me,also what tire size can i stuff out back going with 60 series and have no rubbing issue,and what can i use up front.Its been like 10 years since i had the big bolt pattern.Ihave not gotten the Duster yet but I trust your thoughts.:D

I have run 225 60 15's on the front of 3 different A bodies on the 15 x 7 cop wheels, all 3 cars that size rubbed on one side or the other until I moved the fenders around. I would say a safe bet would be a 215 on the front.

I have run 225 60 15's on the front of 3 different A bodies on the 15 x 7 cop wheels, all 3 cars that size rubbed on one side or the other until I moved the fenders around. I would say a safe bet would be a 215 on the front.

Usually, the bottom corner of the front fenders can use a little trimming.
Simple stuff.

235/60-15 all around. 15x7 Mopar steel wheels.

Attachments

• IMG_20150727_181403505~2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 521
Usually, the bottom corner of the front fenders can use a little trimming.
Simple stuff.

235/60-15 all around. 15x7 Mopar steel wheels.

It's no big deal unless the car was just painted and you don't want to cut them. On my 68 Valiant they also rubbed the inner fender lip at the top on the drivers side.

Attachments

• IMG_00000799.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 487
SO lets say from the ground up on the front to the fender lip it measure 25 1/2 inches,I have to pick a tire size to clear the lip? anything like 26 inches is going to hit?

67Autocross is right-225-60-15 is too big on a A-body. Yea you can bolt it up, but it is going to rub or you have to cut or bend the lip. Snake, maybe one size smaller front and rear on your last post. I would measure the factory front tire and go one size taller on a 7" wheel for the front.

to each his own opinion. :)

it obviously not too big because several of use have that set up with no issue so its all left to taste.

wheel and tire option doesn't have anything to do with "low rider. jacked up or granny stance" that's the suspension's job.

SO lets say from the ground up on the front to the fender lip it measure 25 1/2 inches,I have to pick a tire size to clear the lip? anything like 26 inches is going to hit?

Not necessarily. It depends on how close the tire is to the fender too. The more clearance to the fender you have the lower the car can sit. My Duster sits at 25" to the fender lip, and my 275/35/18's are 25.6" tall per the tire specs (the tread is also 10" wide!). The alignment makes a difference too, camber and caster can alter where the wheel sits enough to gain/lose clearance.

Much taller than 26" on the front tire starts to cause clearance problems with the front and rear corners of the wheel opening though, especially on a Duster because the wheel opening isn't as long as on a Dart/Demon. The 225/60/15's are ~25.6" tall, and you can see in my first picture above there isn't much clearance to the front or rear corners of the wheel opening. A 26" tall front tire on a Duster will probably require a little trimming of the front and rear corners, unless it's a pretty skinny tire that sits more inboard than usual.

67Autocross is right-225-60-15 is too big on a A-body. Yea you can bolt it up, but it is going to rub or you have to cut or bend the lip. Snake, maybe one size smaller front and rear on your last post. I would measure the factory front tire and go one size taller on a 7" wheel for the front.

He is not, and neither are you. I ran the 225/60/15's on my Duster without cutting or bending anything, and had no rubbing at all. The ONLY modification I made was to fully extend the lower fender to bumper brace to push the front lower corner of the fender out a little bit. But I made no changes to the brace or the fender in doing so, I just took advantage off all the stock adjustment available. I didn't cut the fenders, I didn't roll the fender lip or wheel opening, and I never had any rubbing. And I was driving the car every day, through pot holes, over speed bumps, you name it.

225/60/15's fit perfectly on my '74 Duster.

Would a 195 70 15 work on the front.

Yes, but not on a 7" wide rim. Recommended rim width for a 195/70/15 is 5-6". Also, most of the tires I see offered in that size are truck tires.

Man i am having a problim i look of the 70 series tire kind of skinny, did not expect this much fun.

Not necessarily. It depends on how close the tire is to the fender too. The more clearance to the fender you have the lower the car can sit. My Duster sits at 25" to the fender lip, and my 275/35/18's are 25.6" tall per the tire specs (the tread is also 10" wide!). The alignment makes a difference too, camber and caster can alter where the wheel sits enough to gain/lose clearance.

Much taller than 26" on the front tire starts to cause clearance problems with the front and rear corners of the wheel opening though, especially on a Duster because the wheel opening isn't as long as on a Dart/Demon. The 225/60/15's are ~25.6" tall, and you can see in my first picture above there isn't much clearance to the front or rear corners of the wheel opening. A 26" tall front tire on a Duster will probably require a little trimming of the front and rear corners, unless it's a pretty skinny tire that sits more inboard than usual.

He is not, and neither are you. I ran the 225/60/15's on my Duster without cutting or bending anything, and had no rubbing at all. The ONLY modification I made was to fully extend the lower fender to bumper brace to push the front lower corner of the fender out a little bit. But I made no changes to the brace or the fender in doing so, I just took advantage off all the stock adjustment available. I didn't cut the fenders, I didn't roll the fender lip or wheel opening, and I never had any rubbing. And I was driving the car every day, through pot holes, over speed bumps, you name it.

225/60/15's fit perfectly on my '74 Duster.

I'm just saying 225/60/15s are not a slam dunk on any A body, they are tight and on the three cars I have ran them on ( 67 Dart, 68 Valiant with 72 duster fenders, and 71 Valiant) all three touched somewhere. You can get them to work but you might have to move the fenders around.

-
Back