74 Front factory sway bar question

-

zhandfull

Reaction score
I have never owned or put much thought to the 73 and later A bodies. However things are a changing, and now I'm wondering if these cars came stock with front sway bars or if it was still optional equipment in the later year models. So anybody know the scoop on the later A body sway bar?

Yes, the 73-76 A-bodys could be ordered with a front sway bar. There was also a factory rear bar that was available on A-body cop cars in 75-76 I believe.

The front sway bar was optional all the way through the end in 1976. I've seen slant six stripped down cars with them and loaded V8 cars without. It really was a crapshoot.
The factory bar is pretty meager though, measuring about 3/4". It does help some, but the aftermarket sway bars are a better way to go. You can get up to 1 1/8" solid or 1 3/8" hollow. They are a bit spendy though. I made a 1 1/4" front bar by modifying one I got from a mid 70s GM 1 ton truck. I laid the stock one over the truck bar and cut the GM ends off. I drilled the ends for the end links and installed it with new bushings. The 1 1/4" custom bar cost me less than half of a new one. An additional benefit is that the custom bar is 11% stiffer than the best solid bar made new due to its larger size. The 1 3/8" hollow bar stiffness is directly proportional to its wall thickness. SOME hollow bars use a .188 wall, others are as thick as .250 wall. Still, the custom bar is stiffer than any other new bar available today.

Good information guys, going to look at a 74 parts car tomorrow for a budget build I'm doing. I guess I was hoping it would have the sway bar and the front disc brakes along with some other goodies. Guess will see tomorrow. Thanks again!

-
Back