74 Hang 10 Project

-

sulery1

Hang 10er
Reaction score
Hello All,
Great site. I have recieved a lot of help in deciding which leaf springs to go for on my dart.
Now I thuoght I would tell a little about my car & show my progress to this point. I bought this 74 Dart Sport with the Hang 10 package back in 1996 in of all places West Yellowstone, Montana. It was sitting in a huge snow bank.
I went and asked the guy if he wanted to sell it. He said give me $50.00 & it's yours. I dug it out & eventually got it running. Everything was original on the car. I decided to rebuild the engine(318) & the tranny(904). Over the next few years I drove it very little. I did get a nice set of rims & tires & received several compliments on it's look. Thats when I thought I would look for more info on the Hang 10 package. I found a lot of info but of coarse not how many were built due to it being an option that was not tracked. The more I found out the more I wanted to try to restore it to mostly the original look.
This first picture was from about 2001 before I started any major work. Notice the lower rear quarter. It rusted through from sitting in the snow bank.

2843119-R1-042-19A.jpg

2843119-R1-042-19A.jpg

Excellent grab..Sure you didn't forget an extra $"0" in there? LOL. She looks really great and wouldn't take much to be a "10".

DSCF0003.JPG

A few more pics of some of my progress in the last 5 or so years. It's been a slow process:clock: I have purchased a full N.O.S. Hang 10 interior from legendary. I had the rear quarters & trunk floor replaced. It has the factory sun roof which operates good. I have been working on the rear under side removing old under coating & rust. It is not near as bad as I thought it could be. It has an 8 3/4 rear. I am getting new leaf springs soon.
When the car was in the snow bank it was pretty rough. I did purchase the rims & tires after I bought it. It has taken a lot of time & MONEY to get it this far as I'm sure you all know. It's not about the money but the satisfaction of knowing if you start something & stick with it some day you will have something to be proud of. :-D. More to follow.

Project9.jpg

Project5.jpg

Project18.jpg

Project9.jpg

Project5.jpg

Project18.jpg

I did want to post one more pic. This is what the rally wheels looked like when I bought it. I guess it matches the orange interior. If any one knows where to find any orange shag carpet please let me know. I think that is going to be the hardest thing to find.
I do have some pics of me in the snow after I bought it. I will transfer them to a disc & show the before photo.
Project1.jpg

Project1.jpg

Great find Sulery1!

And I thought I got a good deal on my truck.witch I did. BUT!!!
Your is way good and congratulations.:toothy10:

I've been removing the old under coating & sanding down to the metal. I ordered a set of six leaf with a 1" lift & am waiting for them to arrive. I got them from Eaton Springs & will let you know how they fit.
There has not been a lot of rust to this point. I have removed any & used Eastwood's rust converter then rust inhibitor & top coated with chasis black.
I am thinking of using Gator Guard truck bed liner on top of that. Since I am limited on what resources I have I figure it is better than not doing anything at this point. Any sugestions would be appreciated.
More pictures to follow when I get the springs. Steve.
Project30.jpg

Project25.jpg

Project21.jpg

Project30.jpg

Project25.jpg

Project21.jpg

I did want to post one more pic. This is what the rally wheels looked like when I bought it. I guess it matches the orange interior. If any one knows where to find any orange shag carpet please let me know. I think that is going to be the hardest thing to find.
View attachment 14339
try here :
http://www.legendaryautointeriors.com/webmodules/Static/ProductCategories.aspx
they list the carpet color orange and they have the hang 10 interior pieces as well. good stuff too!

always liked the hang 10 package cars. keep the resto pics comin'. looks good so far.

Great looking Hang 10! I can appreciate the your detail from the pics I have seen. One of these days ... I am going have to get me one.

I think you have a very desireable a body, I've never seen one in person. Keep plugging away, and she will get there. Don't you just love the undercarriage work? I do now that it's 99% done on my Duster!
Bob

One more pic of the underneath. Still waiting on the leaf springs. after installing them I am going to raise the rear of the car higher to make cleaning easier. Still thinking about what type of undercoating to use. Since I have such a small work space, for now I am unable to completely disassemble the car. I do small parts at a time which works. I know many people tear their car completely down & never put it back together. I try to keep mine operational until we can move to a bigger place.
Project16.jpg

Project16.jpg

I see something that is puzzling and cool at the same time... Large bolt pattern rallyes and an 8 3/4 rearend in a '74? Did you put the rearend in the car or was it in there?

Chuck

I see something that is puzzling and cool at the same time... Large bolt pattern rallyes and an 8 3/4 rearend in a '74? Did you put the rearend in the car or was it in there?

Chuck

Could be a Ford 9 inch?

Chuck

The rear end was in it when I bought the car. I am not very smart when it comes to the rear end. I know it has a 489 case. I'm not sure why someone would replace the original with this one as the rest of the car appeared all original when I bought it. How would I know if it was a ford rear? All the time I have driven it, it has performed well.

I did get the spring. I went with "Just Suspensions". I got the six leaf with 1" over stock. It sits just a little higher in the back. That was the look I was going for.
Project49.jpg

Project46.jpg

I have to keep the car driveable as I am still looking for a place with a larger garage & I don't want to move it in pieces.
Project47.jpg
I have made a little more progress on the undercarriage. I have been using Eastwoods restoration kit (rust converter,encapsulator,top coat).
Is anyone familar with this? After seeing other restoration projects I am wondering if I should have went with a different product. I still think I would like to apply some sort of truck bed liner for more durability. Any advice would help.
When I do get a bigger work space I plan on pulling the motor & tranny & finishing the undercarriage.

Project49.jpg

Project46.jpg

Project47.jpg

Man looking good !!!! I am still in shock $50.00 and it has a 8 3/4 You are a thief.......Great story!!!!!

Looks like you are moving right along.:headbang:
Some one here can advise you on the under the car protection.:scratch:

Well it's been over a year since I've posted any pics. I had to move into a smaller place so I didn't accomplish as much as I had hoped to but I don't give up easily. I took the doors, hood & trunk lid to the body shop for repairs & primer.
000_0001.jpg

I figure it is better to get a little at a time done than nothing at all. I'm sure many of you would tear the whole car down & have all the body work & paint done at the same time but due to lack of funds & never being able to save enough money this is what has to work for me.
000_0002.jpg
000_0004.jpg
As you can see he did a pretty good job so far. I hope to finish the undercarriage in my spare time. I have tried to keep the car operational until I can get into a bigger place. My hope is to tear it down next spring & get the final body work done & paint. I am going to try to keep it as original as possible for now.

000_0003.jpg
000_0006.jpg
000_0007.jpg
o.jpg
000_0009.jpg
oo.jpg

000_0002.jpg

000_0004.jpg

000_0003.jpg

000_0006.jpg

000_0007.jpg

o.jpg