74 harley dirt bike 250

-

63VALIANT*KISS

Reaction score
anyone know much about these i have a chance to buy my neighbors for 100 bucks but its missing a carb and i have no clue how hard thats going to b to find or how expencive a new one could be?
if anyone has a clue i could get more info on the bike its all there trim turn signals evreything and engine is free spinning i rly want a project but it needs to b all there so if the carb is gonna b 200-500bucks no thanks

ill have to check what eng it has cus i rly wanna do a project like this the bike is all apart now and has the eng rims tires and hadle bars on the bike rest is in boxes so i could either clean it up put it bvack together or tear it down and do it like i want it. i wanna also know value and reliability

IMHO, the value on these is pretty low, they are not in big demand and they're not rare. An average restoration might fetch a 1000 bucks to the right person, maybe 1500 for an immaculate resto. I don't have the slightest clue as reliability... I would think it would be the same as any two-stroke dirt bike of the era (not so hot, two strokes of the day ate rings, pistons and cylinders and it is Italian).

For a hundred bucks grab it! The cool factor of having a HD dirtbike is well worth the money. It wont take up a huge spot in the garage and it would be a fun project. Grab it!

not sure the year it could be a 77 but i got the bike its not in bad shape frames is surface rusty. the tires hold air for rolling around ,the back will need replacing.
theres a couple things ima work on the panel the elec sits on under the seat is rotted not more then just cutting a peice and welding it on it needs a seat aswell.
back fender is there with the taillight great shape. its missing the shift lever i beleive it goes on the left side theres a spot for a lever.

overall the bike is all there minus a couple little things and the carb. the engine (250) is really clean inside and the engine is freemoving piston moves nicly has tons of compresion gonna try to get pics up tonight

i got the bike completly free!

pic up! lets hear some thoughts

Attachments

• my harley dirtbike1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 241
  • my harley dirtbike 2.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 222
  • my harley dirtbike 3.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 226
That is a cool lookin dirtbike! My buddy would have that throwin dirt n rocks in no time!! My thoughts are it says HD on it and it cost you 0. Any paperwork?? Any serial numers??

That is the Aermachi engine. I got parts for the one I had from Moto Italia they were very reasonable. The bikes run good. They were just a little behind times in the suspension revolution going on when they came out. Heres how mine looked after a little elbow grease.:glasses7: By the way this one is a 1974. I'm pretty sure it was San Fransisco that had a fleet of them for the police dept. They also made a 175, 125, and a 90 and I'm thinking maybe a 100. They came in two models the SS and the SX . You have the SX. I think one of the places I got a part was Charleston Custom Cycle. It's been a while so I could be wrong. That should have a Dell' Orto carb.

Theres a Cycle Salvage co in Mineral Wells, WV called Lemon and Barretts. I believe they've got a few of those.

i dont know if anyone would care to look an watch but i was thinking of making a resto thread but theres not rly a spot where would be best projets and restos?

an to awnser the question he has the pink to it so it wall have a clean title im sure and ill have to write the searial number down the sticker is pretty beat.

i dont know if anyone would care to look an watch but i was thinking of making a resto thread but theres not rly a spot where would be best projets and restos?

an to awnser the question he has the pink to it so it wall have a clean title im sure and ill have to write the searial number down the sticker is pretty beat.

Cool, looks like ya got it. :)

Maybe Joey needs a FMO site, For Motorcycles Only..... :cheers:

turns out this bike is a 77/78 model and they didnt make many in those two years making it pretty rare. parts they guys on a harley forum are saying wont be too bad cus the parts i need arnt that rare. i have started dissassembling the thing and grinding painting and putting it back together

I like!!! I have a small shop building and I would hang it on the wall, I am diggem this ol peace of art. congratulations

JMO, Generally i can't stand harleys, but i've always like the history of how they tried their hand in making dirtbikes for awhile.

If i were you, i'd get it running, clean it up and look into a dual sport conversion(if your state allows) and make it into a cool little street/light trail bike. Kinda like the triumph scrambler:
triumph_scrambler_mission_impossible.jpg

I've got a 1968 H-D 250 that's been sitting in the corner of my garage foever. It has the Italian engine. There's a shop called Sonnys Motorcycles in Mass. and that's all they do. They have a web site if ya do a search. A good source for the small H-Ds

That bike is cool. I would clean it good, keep it as original as I could, less work, less money, more value in the end than a restoration. Its amazing what elbow grease, cleaning solvents, steel wool, and polish will do to that bike. That's all I did with this little '70 Kawasaki.

Attachments

• G3TR 026.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 139
-
Back