74 matador police special .....

-

hacksaw

Reaction score
Ok ... i have always been a sucker for the stuff no one else wanted. The ugly duck. The car that every one else gave up on. To that end I have been looking for a 74 AMC matador. The group home i grew up in had one and kinda likes it. It was an ex cop car and i seem to remember it would smoke the hides and get sideways at the crack of the go peddle. Well I found one ..... and it has been sitting less than a mile from my house sence 1980. It is a 401 car .... radio deleat .... rubber mats .... 15X7 wheels and a push bar. Now for the bad .... I will need a trunk pan. Floors,rockers and inner fenders under the hood are super nice serprisingly .... So if any one has or knows of one that could be used as a parts car let me know. Im thinking im lucky finding the one I did after so long of playing hide and seek. il post some pics when it stops raining here .... You can stop laffing now. :rolleyes:

It ain't another chevy is it.......then I won't laugh. Look forward to pics. Not that I don't like the older chevies, it's just it seems as though everyone and their brother has one with a 383 crate engine in it.

Or a rustang. ... Can't swing a dead cat without hitting a rustang

They was ugly alright. LOL, but if it makes you happy... Good luck finding the trunk pan. Maybe one for something else would work or could be modified. Or just patch it.

could be worse, could be a friggin upside down fishbowl abortion of a pacer. hell there were even a few 4 door matador cop cars in the dukes of hazard

hell there were even a few 4 door matador cop cars in the dukes of hazard

i016856.jpg

The Man with the golden gun:

i018137.jpg

Watching the later ADAM12 reruns, you can clearly see the "401" emblems on the lower dog legs of the fenders. Too cool.

Yeah, those aren't so bad for AMC. When I saw 'Matador' I was thinking of the coupe, which looks completely different.

Matador came after the Rebel. Now the Rebel, and The Machine were two muscle cars from AMC, but those are coupes, not four doors. You won't see to many of them out there, that's for sure.

It is kind of a bastard Chrysler! My brother had one growing up and it flew!

Also good score on the squad I myself have just aquired a ex-1978 plymouth fury east Texas game warden car green on green 440 special handling package last of the dinosaurs.

I think it's pretty cool, post the pics please! When I met my wife in the mid/late 80's she was driving an AMC SX4 Eagle. I called it the eagle mobile, it was black, with rear window louvers, pin stripes, sat up kinda high. I ended up loving that car!!! I've always looked at the Matador coupes, looked at those round tail lights and said to myself "damn those lights are ugly.....but they're kinda cool too". I dunno.

I thought he was talking bout these ones....god awful butt ugly. Guy in HS had one and just as ugly in person, but to each their own

Attachments

• 1976_AMC_Matador_coupe_cocoa_fl-rs.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 234
I thought he was talking bout these ones....god awful butt ugly. Guy in HS had one and just as ugly in person, but to each their own

That's the one I was picturing. A neighbor had one. Said he needed a car that was uglier than him so he'd look good. LOL

there is also a 73 fury ex-cop car sitting next to it ... but she ain't getting off of it .... damit ...

My Dad bought a new one in 73' . It had 258 in it. The MP's used them in the near by base. They had a bunch of 401 Interceptors. When they took them out of service, they would cut the cars in half and auction them. My brothers buddy put one in his Javelin. That was a sweet ride. It got me interested in AMC. They had some badass rides. I can remember seeing alot of them as fleet cars back then. But, I haven't seen one any where in a long time. Oddly I see more AMX's and Javelin's then Matador's. At least the early ones. I never thought they were so bad. But, the one shown above, I remember seeing them for the first time and thinking wtf? Lol, I don't remember the year. 78 ish. Good luck and please post some pictures.

here thay are

Attachments

• amc 001.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 196
  • amc 002.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 186
  • amc 003.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 196
  • amc 004.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 203
  • amc 005.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 191
  • amc 006.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 182
Fury looks a bit too nicely trimmed to be a police car, but the Matador looks like a good project. Not enough of them out there.

If it's cheap, go for it. What can you lose? 50 hours of your life to MIG welding some pan patches...worth it!

-Kurt

the fury is NOT a cop car ..... got a better look at it and managed to pry the hood open. 2 bbl 360 and a 120 speedo. The hood on the AMC could be opend a few in. as the hinges are froze up (don't want to bend the hood) but i could see the sticker on the pass. iner fender and it sez 401. It duz have a autolite 4bbl on it but have not verifide its still a 401 in it. its going to be sub zero this weekend and the ground will be hard enuff to get my dodge in there and pull it out far enuff to get a roll back under it. .... o and the AMC ... is free with keys and a pink slip

401 would be a badass score, and free! That is going to be alot of fun. Nothing like starting a project in the plus. Good luck! My fingers are crossed for you, that it is a 401.

-
Back