74 Rust Problem

-
Agree, my car came from Colorado, where they don't use salt. There was very very little rust. Amazingly little rust.... One spot on the drivers side a pillar, and of course the drivers quarter had a spot clear through the quarter and the trunk extension. THAT WAS IT! So yeah, GO WEST young man for a good clean minimal rust car!

To me it isn't piecing a car together that is the problem. It is his crappy attitude "Usless old people!" that shows total disrespect. If he wants help, that sure isn't the way to get it.

And I don't disagree with the attitude.

But from the kid's finger tips comes asking for advice on how to build this car and automatically people go to "scrap it and get another." Of whom, you were one. If I remember rightly (and I do) "buying another one" wasn't part of the kid's question.

I asked one time about buying a Wrangler and wanted answers from Wrangler owners. Half the responses I got were "buy a Subaru." "Buy a small car." "Buy this, but that." Why? It wasn't a question which involved buying this or that, it was a question about buying something specific of which only the owners - present or past - could answer. But for some reason some who couldn't address the specifics felt the need to chime in.

Buying another doesn't address the kid's wants and desires to build this car.

Anyone asking him why this particular car? Is there some sentimental value attached? Did it belong to a family member? Is it a dream to be able to build something with his own two hands and make it his? Did anyone actually care to give him the advice he was looking for?

No, everyone jumped on the bandwagon of "scrap it and buy another."

There's attitudes and there's attitudes. I can see the kid's frustrations. He asked for help and was pointed to craigslist for ads on cars which he may not be able to purchase either because of lack of funds or location. He was told to forget it and find something else. It's so easy for some to say as they have the means and the availability to be able do as such. Not so easy for others.

Now, the question I have for everyone who automatically jumped on that bandwagon and told him where to find one for $*** or $XXXX. Awesome! You gonna buy it for him?

Am I the only one who realizes that it's somewhat demeaning to the kid for everyone to just tell him to forget it and buy another?

Well said, Robert. And I must say I take the kid's side here. Hopefully he ain't thin skinned, otherwise yall have chased off a new member who may have had a lot to contribute.

Im new to the site and am looking for advise with open ears.

But from the kid's finger tips comes asking for advice on how to build this car and automatically people go to "scrap it and get another."

Here's how I see it. He comes to the site, and the above is the first sentence to his first post. That tells me at least, that he is open for suggestions. If the car is as bad as he says it may be in his best interest to look for something else.

Then in my post I asked for pics, because one persons description might not be the same as someone elses.

Has he bothered to post a few pics so we can give better more informed advise, NO.

Then in his second post ever on the forum he calls us "useless old people", well I can tell ya I have probably forgotten more about these cars over the last 40 years than he knows right now.

SO, with that said, if he wants help, HE has to help us help him instead of plunking down some punk attitude.

funny thing youth is....

Just like all the "bad ***" kids I know; pants around their asses....total disrespect for cops and teachers...... but if they get in a bind, they whine, cry and beg for help from anyone who willl give it. pretty funny really.

But from the kid's finger tips comes asking for advice on how to build this car and automatically people go to "scrap it and get another." Of whom, you were one. If I remember rightly (and I do) "buying another one" wasn't part of the kid's question.

I didn't tell him to scrap his car. I wanted him to realize what the real world value of his car is so I posted some for him to "check out".

Truly, I wish someone had been man enough to tell me to forget it and buy another car in my young days. I learned the hard way when I ended up with a car that I had a ton of money in that was worth nothing. Hindsight is 20/20 now.

His words: "major rust pockets from WI salt" in all the structural components of the car. Everything would have to be replaced or repaired. He stated he wanted to save the car on a limited budget. No other info given. My thoughts: does he have the skills, materials, equipment or a work space to carry out such an endeavor? If not he's setting himself up for failure. Maybe he just wants to learn how to restore a car and sharpen his skills? Fine, hack away. Instead of info (pics, goals) we get nothing but attitude to the unanimous responses, appropriately IMO, of you'd be better off finding a better car to start with. He won't get any help from me.

Im new to the site and am looking for advise with open ears. 74 Valiant with major rust pockets from WI salt including but not limited to inner fenders, torsion bar cross member, all sub frames, floor boards, pinch rails and so on. There is alot of car left for now and im not giving up on this one so i need a plan. I will replace anything nessisary to remove this cancer but i have limited funds. Im looking for any help on effective ways to restore my car from good part ideas to metal thickness any help is apreciated.

well guys no help. didnt pay a dime for it and its alctualy less of a rust bucket than you think. I wanted to make a plan so it dosent go to waste but your right. Its not worth anything to you so ill scrap the shinny girl. Thanks for painting with your wide brushes. I'm far more inclined to take on a restoration like this than you. Came here for specific A-body details but thats not happening. Usless old people!

Read the first post, then read the second.

Totally contradictory.

Ooooo good, I went back and reread my post. just because the boy's second response immediately followed my post, I was about to get my old feelings hurt.
now son, don't get your panties in a wad!!!!. look at all this in perspective. ask some specific question as how to do this and that, what it will cost to pay some old geeser that has the equipment and experience to do that task OR ask what all you need to have to do it????
and realize, us old farts have made many mistakes and sometimes we try to help some younger guy not make the same!?????
I say, be a man and suck it up. look at ALL the advise as just that. YOU weed out what works for YOU and leave the rest.
and may I add, calling us "stupid old people" , weel it sort of puts a damper on offering advise??? advise is like as-ho---, everyone has one,,,, some stink????? pick and choose your advise or don't ask.....

I'm old enough to have bought that car new, but I like to help people. So if you are serious, you might look through here:

http://autorust.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=vc09m8seev01oe9oflsrnhetm0

These guys make and sell rust repair pieces for our cars. Not generally something for show quality vehicles but if you just want to get this thing on the road, it's a start. Their frame repair parts are generally "caps" that fit over the existing metal and are welded in place.

"useless old people"
The only satisfaction we can get from this, is knowing someday he will become one to.

-
Back