74 valiant restomod

-

74valiant

Reaction score
so i FINALLY got around to starting a thread on my restoration. this is my first resto, so i might need some help from you guys!! so far i have gathered lots of parts, and also recently started disassembly. first off, heres the car. its originally a san diego car, so its pretty clean (now residing in metro detroit). it was optioned with a 318/904, ac, power disc and electronic ignition. other than that, not much. was originally a blue interor, but i have since painted it black. thats the original paint on the outside though. i think the body has over 200k on it too

engine bay

i am going through everything. brakes, suspension, interior, paint, engine, trans, rearend, exhaust, chrome ect...

heres a basic idea of the finished product

engine- rebuilt 360 w/ mild cam, headers, intake
exhaust- dual 2.5 inch w 40 series flowmasters
trans- rebuilt 904 possibly small stall
brakes- stock power front disc rear drum setup rebuilt
suspension-full moog front end kit, 1 inch torsion bars, hd springs, anti sway bar front and rear, havent decided on shocks yet..
rearend- b body suregrip 8 3/4 749 case w/3.23 gears
interior- black seats w/ white inserts matching car color. door panels match. full polk stereo w/sub.trunk will be finished. the entire car will be dynamatted also
paint-complete paint job in the original white color with custom black stripe similiar to the aar
chrome- all chrome/stainless will be polished,rechromed, or replaced

heres some pics of the progress so far

i have removed the engine and front suspension. then disassembled the front suspension and power washed it. i am now waiting to get them sandblasted so i can paint them and start assembly

i also scored a billet mini spare at the j/y for $18. should be a nice compomise for a flat trunk floor

lots more to come!!!!!

Parts Needed: pm me if you have any of these

new sideview mirror- single post, may consider others
bumpers-need to have new or very good condition chrome
trunk lid (close proximity to metro detroit)
spare tire well
black under column trim
new or vgc blk dash pad
new black carpet for 4dr.
new black headliner for 4dr.
new domelight lense
fatmat/dynamat or similiar (enough for a whole trunk and interior)
new or vgc full sidemarker set
new coolant overflow and washer tanks
new edelbrock carb suited for 360
new brake booster
hd springs (willing to trade for good condition super stock springs or buy)
shocks- what do ya got??
frame ties for long wheel base

the pics make the car look better than it is. it needs some rust repair on both lower quarters, and the spare tire well need to be replaced. it is a so-cal car though, so its a good start. i hate rust and like having as little as possible.

that car looks hot in a 4 door cant wait to see more white looks good

I am downriver wayne county im 20 min away from comerica park

so ive been looking for some taillights for awhile now and was having trouble because no one remanufactures them. the other day i happened upon some and snapped them up. nos from 74 so its a perfect fit!!

heres a few pics.

got a few more things bought and done recently and will update when i get pics

just finished working on the car today so i snapped some pics

engine bay and interior are pretty well done being stripped for media blast and paint.

also pulled the rear windsheild and cleaned up the very sticky window sealer.

more pics likely to be up tonight!!

That window sealer is a mess. I had the crap all over me by the time I got mine cleaned up!! Keep up the good work. L8r

Jim

yeah, that sealer is a mess! i used a flatblade screwdriver to get most of it off. still some left though, so ill get at it with some oil eater, and it should clean it right up. for those trying to get their seal/glass out, let me suggest spraying the seal with silicon spray a day or two before the removal. my seal was hard as a rock before i did that and it softened it right up. if i applied two coats and waited an extra day, it would have worked even better. it also seemed to help in making the sealer come off and unstick.on a side note, media blasting is rediculously expensive!! got quoted $950 to do the whole car!!!

-
Back