741 gears

-

moparmike98

Reaction score
My pinion nut came loose on me while driving and the pinion ate my ring gear. Is there anywhere that sells a 3.91 or 4.10 for the 741 housing? Also if anyone here has any in good shape let me know.
Thank you

None new that I know of. I believe you'll either have to luck up on NOS or good used, OR move to a 742 or 489 case. I looked earlier for thirty solid minutes from your wanted post and I found nothing. I was tryin to help. lol

None new that I know of. I believe you'll either have to luck up on NOS or good used, OR move to a 742 or 489 case. I looked earlier for thirty solid minutes from your wanted post and I found nothing. I was tryin to help. lol

I appreciate it Rusty. Yeah I'm really hoping somebody on here might have a set. It's actually where I got my first set

I appreciate it Rusty. Yeah I'm really hoping somebody on here might have a set. It's actually where I got my first set
It's entirely possible. Up until not too terribly long ago, Summit still had those gear sets for the 741, so surely there are some out there somewhere.

Looks like Dr Diff can get some gears. 3.73 is the closest to your request that I see.

Looks like Dr Diff can get some gears. 3.73 is the closest to your request that I see.

Thanks Lefty I did see that but I'm trying to stay at 3.91 or go lower. Right now I trap below peak power as it is and 3k at 60mph doesn't bother me

742 gears will NOT fit into a 741 case -- i do not know of any bearing you could use to do this conversion let alone the dimensional differences in the pinion itself between the 742 and 741 cases -- yokes will interchange ,, i just went thru a very nice early 657 case ( same as 741 ) with an excellent 3.91 gear and open carrier that is going up for sale this week -- too bad shipping to the states is so expensive.

Last edited:
742 gears will NOT fit into a 741 case

Was kinda hoping to hear from someone who had tried it....interesting to see in that thread there were folks who said they had done it....
The only reason I mentioned yokes is because the pinion spline count is different, so thats a given. The difference in the pinion itself is 1-3/8 stem as opposed to 1-3/4 (no clue if there are other differences). The big question in my head is the OD of the front race????

742 case front race HM803110 is 3.500 O.D. ,, bearing cone HM803149 is 1.750 I.D. ,,741 Case front race HM89410 is 3.000 O.D. ,, bearing cone HM89446 is 1.375 I.D. -- so you are going to need a pretty big hammer to fit a 742 gear in a 741 case.

-
Back