741 pinion seal

-

peachtop

Reaction score
I am replacing the pinion seal on my 741 pumpkin. When I disconnected the universal joint, I noticed a noticeable slop in the movement of the pinion. I has about a 1/2" movement before the gears actually move the axle. Is this normal or do I have to remove the pumpkin to adjust the backlash? I hope not, because I have too many other things to do and I don't need another project.
It has 3.55 posi gears and I really need to jump the ratio up to 3.73 or 3.91 due to the 46RH xmission. Traveling at 70mph, the engine is only at 1950rpm. No torque from the 340 this low.

First and foremost and before you get a ration of crap, for the love of all that is holly edit your post and remove the word "posi" and replace with "limited slip" or "sure grip" or "powr-loc"

Next it will all depend how many miles your rear has, mine has 322,000 and has that much slop, I doubt there is any amount of adjustment that will fix it.

With a sure grip there MIGHT be more rotation slop that an open diff but I doubt it.

Last edited:
"Posi" A group of two or more cowboys sent out after a criminal. If your rear is single open its called a "Cheriff".

I am replacing the pinion seal on my 741 pumpkin. When I disconnected the universal joint, I noticed a noticeable slop in the movement of the pinion. I has about a 1/2" movement before the gears actually move the axle. Is this normal or do I have to remove the pumpkin to adjust the backlash? I hope not, because I have too many other things to do and I don't need another project.
It has 3.55 posi gears and I really need to jump the ratio up to 3.73 or 3.91 due to the 46RH xmission. Traveling at 70mph, the engine is only at 1950rpm. No torque from the 340 this low.
It seems like your slop problem is moot if you need to change the gear ratio. And ya, 1/2 inch is excessive.

The only real way to know what the backlash is requires removing the pumpkin. As has been said it doesn't matter if you are changing gears obviously. I have no idea if adjusting backlash is a good idea if the gears are worn.

-
Back