741 Pinion Spacer is "Stuck"

-

Mojoe9955

Reaction score
I'm trying to freshen up a 741. I see there is a spacer on the pinion shaft between the bearings. In order to change the inner bearing and add or subtract shims it needs to come off and it's stuck. I imagine it will come of when pulling the bearing? I sprayed it with some Kroil overnight and am thinking of twisting with Channel Locks or a pipe wrench. It doesn't seem like it would be an issue if it got knicked a little as it doesn't appear to be a close tolerance part on the outside. Any ideas?
Thanks

Last edited:
sounds like a crush collar that should be changed any way?

I didn't think 741 had crush collars. Just the 489 case? I had no such thing doing gear change last year with my 741 just shims????

Shims and new races, bearings, and shims as it cried like a baby. Most responses mention the crush sleeve according to what I've read is specific to the 489. This is a 741 which my 65 Dart and 69 Plymouth service manuals show this spacer and a special tool used to measure/determine which shim to use. I think I've also read that the correct shim thickness is marked on the pinion, I'm not sure if this is the marking I'm looking for or not. According to pattern I made before taking it apart it showed that the pinion had to be centered more on the ring gear. I only see 1 shim under the bearing so I won't know what it measures until I get it off. Without the special tool to set it up I guess it's trial and error according to the differential "guru's" on YouTube :rolleyes:

17159474088367404800302357416214.jpg

I did get the spacer off using my painters tool between the bearing, spacer and a couple light taps on the end with a hammer and it popped right off.

Some guys hone out the old pinion bearing so they can add shims to get the correct pinion depth. Then use new bearing.Don't know if this helps.

Attachments

• Pinion gear setup.pdf
    83.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Pinion_Depth_Setting_Kit.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
Possibly there is an undercut like on this 742 pinion that may be hanging it up..........
1715950096518.png

-
Back