75 dart rear wheel size question

-

75dartron

Reaction score
Can someone tell me if a BFG 245/60/15 will fit on the rear of a 75 dart swinger with stock rally rims? I believe there 15x6" The vehicle is stock.

Nope.

First, a 245/60/15 needs at least a 15x7" rim.

Second, you'll need to max out your backspacing if you want to fit a 245 on a Dart without rolling the quarter lip.

A 15x8 with ~4.75" of backspacing might work. But a 245 is right about where things start getting entertaining with the stock spring location.

Nope.

First, a 245/50/15 needs at least a 15x7" rim.

Second, you'll need to max out your backspacing if you want to fit a 245 on a Dart without rolling the quarter lip.

A 15x8 with ~4.75" of backspacing might work. But a 245 is right about where things start getting entertaining with the stock spring location.

.....he said a "60" series tire...and yes it should fit...245/60 tire on that rim will work fine :glasses7:

.....he said a "60" series tire...and yes it should fit...245/60 tire on that rim will work fine :glasses7:

Sorry, that was a typo, I assumed he meant 60 series.

And no, according to BFG it will not fit on a 6" rim. A 7" wide rim is listed as the minimum by BFG for a 245/60/15. Can you squeeze it on there? Probably. Will a regular tire shop do it for you? Probably not. Is it a good idea for tire life and safety? Nope.

Regardless, the stock 15x6 isn't likely to have enough backspace to clear the quarters with a 245. A 245 is pretty much the max you can run on a Dart with the stock spring locations and no cutting. I've seen a few folks that have put 245's on there without getting any tire rub, but I've also seen folks that couldn't get anything wider than a 235 on their Darts without having rubbing issues. Your results may vary.

I am running BFG radial T/A's 245/60/15 on the back of my 73 Dart Sport with steel wheels and a 8.75 rearend out of a C body 67 Coronet uncut. Here is a pic of the car and a pic of them under my Duster as I needed to run them on my Duster to check a vibration.

Attachments

• DSC06444 (Copy).jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC08462.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 156
Not to Poo Poo on anyone, but I have 245/60 R15's on the back of my '75.
4.75" BS and there is no more room inside or out.
That being said, they fit and I have never had a rub outta them.
Check the photo, you can see they fit well up inside the ...well.
As said above, the crucial issue is the BS. Tried a set of same on a 4.5" BS and it was a no-go, rubbed on the lip.
With the 4.75" BS, there is 1/4" inside and out with my BGF's.
They fill it well I think.
You decide.

Attachments

• 0514152047a.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 174
I am running BFG radial T/A's 245/60/15 on the back of my 73 Dart Sport with steel wheels and a 8.75 rearend out of a C body 67 Coronet uncut. Here is a pic of the car and a pic of them under my Duster as I needed to run them on my Duster to check a vibration.

The Dart Sport and Dart Swinger are two completely different cars when it comes to fitting rear wheels. You can easily fit a 275/60/15 on a Dart Sport/Duster/Demon without any cutting or relocations if you set your backspace correctly. I test fit a set of 17x9's with 275/40/17's on my Duster, they fit without any issues.

On a Dart, if you get 245's on there without cutting/rolling/offsetting/relocating you're doing pretty good.

Not to Poo Poo on anyone, but I have 245/60 R15's on the back of my '75.
4.75" BS and there is no more room inside or out.
That being said, they fit and I have never had a rub outta them.
Check the photo, you can see they fit well up inside the ...well.
As said above, the crucial issue is the BS. Tried a set of same on a 4.5" BS and it was a no-go, rubbed on the lip.
With the 4.75" BS, there is 1/4" inside and out with my BGF's.
They fill it well I think.
You decide.

245's are about as wide as you can go on most Dart's that I've seen. The exact backspace depends on the rear axle, as the A-body 8 3/4" is about an inch wider than a BBP 7.25" or 8.25". I've heard of a few folks that have gotten 255's in there, but I suspect they cut/rolled the quarter flanges. On my '71 I think even a 245 might be pushing it, the backspace would have to be perfect.

don't know anything about the difference in a Swinger or a Sport or Duster. I just know it fits under the Sport and Duster. glad you clarified that.

-
Back