75 Dart Sport Tire fittment

-

Slappy

Reaction score
Thanks to all that can help. I am a newbee here to this web site. I hope I post this correctly. I am looking for a tire and wheel combo sizes for this car. I looked in the tire fittment thread. There was some Dart sports but some info was missing like backspacing numbers. I am going to go with 15 inch but I am unsure what to put. I have stock suspension accept for the 8 3/4 axle in the rear. Anyone with info? Thanks to all whom can help.

I Have The Stock Rallys With Good Year Polglass Tires E-70-14 Plus I Mostly Run American Racing Torque Thrust, Rears Are 15x7" Wide I Think A 4" Backspace With A 275-60-15 T/a Radial, They Fit Great, Have About 3/4" Clearence Between Tire & Leaf Spring. The Fronts Are 14"x5 2 1/2" Backspace With A 215-75-14.. Hope This Helps

1-15-2008-09.jpg

1-15-2008-02.jpg

The fronts can be very tricky on A-bodies in my experience. Heck the rears are no picnic either I suppose.

A lot of it depends on how low the suspension sits you your car.

Look at the photos of the Dart Sport above. The front tires work well for him, however with the torsion bars lowered a bit like on my car you couldn't turn at all without those tall front tires rubbing hard on the fenders.
BTW that car Dart Sport above is absolutely gorgeous!

For availability purposes a 15 x 8" rear wheel with a 4.5" backspace is the easy fit.

I prefer a 15 x 8.5" rear wheel with 5-inches of backspace myself, but these are a little more difficult to find (even when buying new). I like the extra width to help keep the tire from being 'sucked in' because of trying to mount to wide of a tire on a skinny wheel. It also fills the entire wheel well better. I have 15 x 8.5-inch wheels with 5-inch backspacing on the rear of my 1974 Dart Sport and my 1974 Duster. Both are stock suspension vehicles (when I bought new springs I just upgraded the packs with a couple extra leafs). I run 255/60R-15 rear tires. Seems to work pretty well so and the tires fit the wheels really slick.

Here is a pair of photos showing a 15 x 7 with 4.00-inches of backspace on the front of my Dart Sport. It is a little to close to my fender for my liking.

p1020912sr4.jpg

p1020908vr2.jpg

Looking from the top of the fender down:

p1020914hf6.jpg

Here are how well a 15 x 8.5 with 5-inches of backspace fit the rear of these cars:

p1020895tp4.jpg

p1020897ky3.jpg

p1020893ey3.jpg

p1020900ko0.jpg

For the record, Yes, I do enjoy showing photos of my cars (& looking at photos of everyone elses). Every thread needs pictures...

I would think that a 275/60R-15 would sneak in there just fine, however I haven't tried it yet so I can't say with 100% confidence.

I asked the same question when I started on the Demon, but that was before I found FABO. My quest took me to Stockton Wheel who recommended the largest wheel/tire combo for my cop car wheels was 235/60-15. Here's picture of the car going to the paint shop. The front wheels barely clear the front fender lip as they approach the lower limits of suspension travel, especially when turned.:snakeman:

IMG_5334s.jpg

On a 7" wide wheel you could have went 245/60-15 easy on the rear.

As for the fronts if you plan on leaving your nose in the air they may work but any lower and it looks like rub city to me...

Nice DEMON.

Hello,

And thanks to all whom have helped me. Daniel what do you suggest on the front wheel? On your Dart it does appear to come out just to the edge of the fender. Do you think maybe 3.00 backspace instead of 4.00? Or put a 15x6 wheel instead? The rears look to be a bit close to the leaf spring in the picture. It could be the way the pix is showing. 72 Demon do you have 235/6015 on the front? Great project. I also have a 72 Demon. This is what I am thinking for the Dart. 15x7 or 6 with 3.00 or 3.50 back spacing and a 215/70r15 for the front. 15x8 and 4.00 to 4.50 backspacing with a 255/60r15 for the rear. What do you think? Again thanks for the great pix they were very helpful. Tod

You have your backspacing "backwards", I think.
The more backspace a wheels has, the less "dished out" the wheel is.
Therefore a 15 x 7" wheel with 3.0" of backspace will stick out further then a 15 x 7" wheel with 4" of backspace.

Check out this site for the best quick reference wheel info I've ever seen and learn how to find the backspace and such.

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

If you are are going to buy a 15 x 8" rear wheel I'd recommend getting a wheel 4.5-inch backspace over a 4" backspace wheel. Wrapped in a 255/60R-15 will fit the car great!

As for the fronts... I have three sets of aftermarket wheels on A-bodies right now, all of which are skinnies. They are:
A pair of 15 x 4.5" slotted mags with 2-inches of backspace
A pair of Centerline Auto Drag 15 x 3.5" wheels with 1.65-inches of backspace
A pair of 15 x 5" Weld Pro-Stars with 3.5-inches of backspace

I'd like to find a nice set of 15 x 6.5" wheels with a 4.5-inch backspace for the front, but I haven't seen any off the shelf wheels like that.

I would recommend a 15 x 6 with a 4" backspace for the front. Though I do not know if you could find any of those.

I ran P215/65R15 on 15x7" with 41/4" BS on the front.If you lower to much you'll rub the fender on turns & uneven pavement. I adjust my ride height so I had no rubbing at all.

-
Back