75 Duster radio wiring help

-

edb_app

Reaction score
I recently bought a 75 duster with the original radio taken out and unfortunately the dash was cut. Im tired of having a rigid hole there so I am forced to throw a cd deck in there until I can replace the whole dash. Now I am having trouble installing. There is a connector with a red and a orange wire coming out of it in which I attached the red and yellow wires coming from the new deck. Now where does the ground wire and remote wire go? I have looked of this forum and have found nothing but some pics of original radios and they usually have a green and black wire coming out of them. Is this what those wires are? How and where do I connect them. If anyone has any info it would be of great help. Thanks!

I can post some pics if that can help.

maybe a few pics will help. I think the grean and black wire is for the speaker. should be a red and an orange for the power and light. That is the best I can remember, been a long time since I had the one out of my 74.

ok lets see if i can help ya out on this one. this is what i did for my 70 swinger. you can ground the deck to the dash somewhere find an existing screw or bolt and hook onto it with a ring terminal. as for the main power wire and the acc wire i hooked one up to the red/orange wire and the other up to the poss side of the amp meter (cant member off hand witch is what but if you have a test light see wich wire turns on with the key and thats ure acc wire) you can hook both wires up like you did you just wont be able to keep a memory on your deck. the remote wire is of no use for you unless you are running an amplifier and that wire does it turn amps on and off. as barry said the black and green wires are for speakers. you can T-tap into those if you are using speakers already hooked up to the stock wires if not then you will have to run your own. also if you have the single speaker in the dash upfront you will need to wire the front wires out of your new deck in sequence to make it a single channel other wise you will have just a one sided speaker. hope that helps

ok lets see if i can help ya out on this one. this is what i did for my 70 swinger. you can ground the deck to the dash somewhere find an existing screw or bolt and hook onto it with a ring terminal. as for the main power wire and the acc wire i hooked one up to the red/orange wire and the other up to the poss side of the amp meter (cant member off hand witch is what but if you have a test light see wich wire turns on with the key and thats ure acc wire) you can hook both wires up like you did you just wont be able to keep a memory on your deck. the remote wire is of no use for you unless you are running an amplifier and that wire does it turn amps on and off. as barry said the black and green wires are for speakers. you can T-tap into those if you are using speakers already hooked up to the stock wires if not then you will have to run your own. also if you have the single speaker in the dash upfront you will need to wire the front wires out of your new deck in sequence to make it a single channel other wise you will have just a one sided speaker. hope that helps

Thanks so much Dingo!!! I will try all of this on the next sunny day... whenever that may be! I will keep updating on any progress... Thank you all for the responses!

your quite welcome, glad to be of some help. sun...in your neck of the woods....wow good luck lol.

One last thing Dingo... So I got everything all hooked up and having the memory problem. I took my main power wire and the acc wire and put them together and connected them to the red wire. It powers on and plays fine just resets every time I turn the car off. Also I was wondering how to "wire the front wires out of the deck in sequence to make it a single channel"? I connected the the 2 front positives and 2 front negatives to the speaker in the dash. Just wanna make sure Im doing everything right and if not I need to fix it right away. Thanks in advance!

One last thing Dingo... So I got everything all hooked up and having the memory problem. I took my main power wire and the acc wire and put them together and connected them to the red wire. It powers on and plays fine just resets every time I turn the car off. Also I was wondering how to "wire the front wires out of the deck in sequence to make it a single channel"? I connected the the 2 front positives and 2 front negatives to the speaker in the dash. Just wanna make sure Im doing everything right and if not I need to fix it right away. Thanks in advance!

the deck needs power all of the time to keep the presets and stuff in memory. the main power wire needs to go to a wire that has power when the key is off. the accessory wire needs to go to a wire that has power only when the key is on. you can use a multimeter to figure out which wires have constant voltage.

the deck needs power all of the time to keep the presets and stuff in memory. the main power wire needs to go to a wire that has power when the key is off. the accessory wire needs to go to a wire that has power only when the key is on. you can use a multimeter to figure out which wires have constant voltage.

this is correct. if your losing your mem every time you turn the key off that means you have both wires tapt into an acc switch wire, meaning that when you turn the key off it loses all power to the deck. this is the correct wire for the acc wire from your deck. you need to find a wire that remains hot all the time while the key is off for your main power wire out of the deck. a multi meter is best but you can do this with a simple light tester aswell. if all else fails you can run your own hot wire from the batt just be sure to add an inline fuse. ill dig my cluster out and c if i can get some pics for you.

Okay... I think I did it!!! I have the front speaker replaced in the dash with the same size as original 4x10, and have two back speakers set up. Now my only question is.... I have the power straight from the starter... no more memory loss, no more skipping when the turn signals are on. But is that okay to have it like that or am I going to damage something in the process?!?!

from the starter? ive never run it like that in any of my installs but i guess it would work lol. you were sure to put and inline fuse on though right?????

-
Back